Buying a new videocard? LOL good luck....

cplmac

So I finally decided to pull the trigger and get a 1080Ti last night, I had no idea what I was in for. I settled on the EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid, a great card and not cheap at about $850 on EVGA'S site. I had no idea that buying a video card today was simply not possible much less buying the card you want. EVGA is sold out, completely, of every 1080 card they manufacture. Best Buy is sold out of every 1080 they sell. Amazon is sold out of every 1080 they sell at retail, only cards to be found have a 100% markup so the card I want can be had for $1700. Same with Newegg, same with microcenter, same with every known source of video cards. I would just like to say that I'm truly hoping all data miners die in a dumpster fire of AIDS. EVGA is adding stock every now and then but it sells out in minutes and then minutes later resellers on Amazon are selling the cards at 100% markup. So, question is does anyone here know a source I'm missing? Anyone have at least a 970 level card they want to sell? If you are currently in the market for a video card I can't recommend highly enough to put off your search and pray for Bitcoin to go tits up.

Im still waiting to upgrade my desktop. I picked up a GTX 770 for $100 refurb last year just to play Fallout 4 and BF1 on decent settings. But now that I have a 1440P monitor I really need my real upgrade.

I saw a comment by a guy the other day where he claimed he bought a XBOX instead of gaming laptop because 1060's and 1070's were too expensive due to miners buying up the market. I laughed at him. Yeah because people buy laptops with 1080's to mine ethereum... A gaming laptop with an i7 and 1060 starts at $1000. Really normal for a gaming laptop. Way more than a game console though.

Omfg though even 1060's are $529 at microcenter. I guess I should be glad we bought an XBOX for christmas lol

Last edited:
Yeah I haven't bought a console since my Playstation one in 1996, I'm seriously considering going back to consoles. Are they as usable on the web? I mean if you wanted to could you use your latest XBOX to hop on the forums here and post or use discord? Asking for a friend...

Yeah I haven't bought a console since my Playstation one in 1996, I'm seriously considering going back to consoles. Are they as usable on the web? I mean if you wanted to could you use your latest XBOX to hop on the forums here and post or use discord? Asking for a friend...

Discord not on consoles and I certainly wouldn't want to do serious web browsing on one but I haven't tried.

I generally only play RPG's and racing games on console. We already have a media center PC so there is no point in us using the xbox for anything but gaming. I also tend to focus on buying her games that also work on windows 10.

I don't think bitcoin mining will be going on for extended lengths of time. Trends come and go.

I will say that I've seen more Dell PC gaming ads in the last month or so then I've ever seen in the past 15 years. PC Gaming is surging like crazy right now. Hell, I'm sure one of the TBG members might have a spare 980 or 970 (higher maybe) laying around for far cheaper then you'll get off Amazon. Does it have to be a 1080? I have a 1070 myself and it works great.

I don't think bitcoin mining will be going on for extended lengths of time. Trends come and go.

Soulzz this really has almost nothing to do with bitcoin. Real bitcoin mining happens on ASIC's if you are still using GPU's you are trying really hard to break even or lose money.

Ethereum, etc. Something will come next.

Ethereum is changing the block style so it can't be mined much longer. No one is mining bitcoin with a PC difficulty got way too high, but there are over 200 alt coins still being mined by GPU's, thus part of the shortage. Bitcoin is being mined by speciality s3 miners and the like that cost big bucks, make $50 a day, and have a 6 month life span....

I will say that I've seen more Dell PC gaming ads in the last month or so then I've ever seen in the past 15 years. PC Gaming is surging like crazy right now. Hell, I'm sure one of the TBG members might have a spare 980 or 970 (higher maybe) laying around for far cheaper then you'll get off Amazon. Does it have to be a 1080? I have a 1070 myself and it works great.
Nah it doesn't have to be a 1080, I'm trying to decide whether or not to just hold off for a few months more and see if the year long shortage abates. I can get my hands on a 970 which would be a huge step up from my 560. It's ironic that after all these years of gaming when I finally decide to buy a high end card they just aren't available. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.

I have a co-worker that is buying up GPUs (1080ti/1070tis) for mining.
Kick that piece of shit right in the balls for me please. Altered I have also heard rumors that the new Volta cards might be coming out soon but there hasn't been any real news from nVidia on that.

the new cards are actually called ampre something, supposedly the new DRAMM is already in production, it seems to be a worldwide supply issue, mining is part of the problem, but I don't think its going away any time soon. Gaming PC's are big as well.

I just installed a new cooler on my 970 because the prices were just dumb. To be honest this thing is awesome at full speed I can barely hear it.

Nah it doesn't have to be a 1080, I'm trying to decide whether or not to just hold off for a few months more and see if the year long shortage abates. I can get my hands on a 970 which would be a huge step up from my 560. It's ironic that after all these years of gaming when I finally decide to buy a high end card they just aren't available. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.
Best bet lately is through Nvida itself-FE version, but at MSRP and not stupid prices.

Problem is solved, a good citizen of our community had one for sale. Almost the exact card I was looking for. Turns out 1080TIs ARE being used to mine ETH but they are changing the accepted form of proofing in the not too distant future that should alleviate this problem and since ETH is more than 50% of the crypto mining field that should help dramatically. If the person who hooked me up wants to make himself public I'll give him a huge thanks and possibly a reacharound publicly.

I waited 2 months for 780ti s to get back on shelves. Wait 8 weeks from the time your money is burning a hole in your wallet and the gaming gods will reward you

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Mac,
I thought your Video Card rule is:
Best card for $300??

Glad you found a card.

I'm using the rx580 cards to mine

Sadanko

//

What the fuck is mining for for video cards or whatever the fuck this conversation is about? I live under a rock.

What the fuck is mining for for video cards or whatever the fuck this conversation is about? I live under a rock.
Long story short... basically GPUs are used to mine cryptocurrencies because it is faster than CPUs (in most cases). Miners want to make $$$, so they buy up all the graphics cards to mine cryptos, leaving us poor saps who want to use them to game with a shitty and/or overpriced selection of cards.

Edit, refreshed page and duplicated response by mistake.

Back