Bought a Samson Meteor Mic today. + Now with stand and pop filter

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
DSC_2181.jpg

Sound Sample:<object height="81" width="100%">
<embed allowscriptaccess="always" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F60228994" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="81" width="100%"> </object> Samson Meteor versus Gamecom 380 by RainMotorsports

While I still don't intend to voice over any more acting videos. I did need something for my you tube videos I plan to do. It will also make a better mic for my tutorials and what not in general. I like it. I was at best buy in the audio department looking at amplifiers and microphones. Almost walked out when i went through the video game section ran across this.

Keep in mind i am still stuck with the horrible acoustics of my room. But my main issue at the moment is the lack of a proper mic stand. Had this propped up on a tripod and the impact of my voice gave it some bad movement. Speaking of which pop filter is a good idea for someone like me as well and I don't have one. I recorded both clips in Audacity and sampled noise, removed noise and normalized.

Stand + Pop Filter:
DSC_2184_zpsf56c4202.jpg

To help with your acoustics to some degree on the cheap you can hang some throw rugs on the walls. Ceiling too if your brave enough.

Dropped by guitar center on my break today and grabbed the rest I needed. Pop filter, best thing since sliced bread. Mic stand, mainly for instructional videos but it also gets it off my desk for voice over work. Don't worry I am not speaking against that wall lol.

Picture:
DSC_2184_zpsf56c4202.jpg

I have a Yeti Blue microphone with a stand that I use for podcasting. Not cheap, but does well.

I have a Yeti Blue microphone with a stand that I use for podcasting. Not cheap, but does well.

Tharic Nar over at Techgage has one as well. Definitely out of my price range and not like I had money at all to spend. Broke like I have wheel bearings and a fuel pump that are both on the verge of catastrophic failure for some time now. Bearings I will probably buy next week the pump... meh assembly is coming apart at the seams. As long as it doesn't fail to produce pressure entirely I can put around forever on it lol. I have literally not had money to spend last couple years but as you can see I spend it anyways.

I have no regrets as far as the product is concerned. Definitely worth the money. I do regret buying this particular one over one of Samson's more traditional USB mics. The legs prevent me from putting it in most shock mounts and the overall design prevents a universal from being any good at all. It was dumb to think that I would place a microphone on a surface to actually use and then dumb to not account for hard drive and fan vibrations also being an issue.

I have found that even with people here in the house the majority of my background noise in this room is the desktop. Which is one good thing about the USB setup. I can use the gaming laptop in fan off mode very easily. Id prefer to use a decent mic with the Xonar due to the higher sampling rate. But the preamp in the Xonar is weak and there is no denying every USB mic I have seen so far has great input level. Dynamic range on this mic isn't that broad but its much better than what I was using before and I dunno if I said it already but the major difference is the bass in the voice. Overall much more natural sounding.

Back