Boeing's airborne laser finally blows something up.

qwerty

laser-beams-pew-pew-rm-eng.jpg

According to Boeing and the US Air Force, that happened over the White Sands Missile Range on August 30th, when an C-130H aircraft equipped with the Advanced Tactical Laser (or ATL) locked on to an unspecified ground target and fired the 12,000lb high-power chemical laser to make the target disappear from the face of the Earth. That successful test seems unlikely to change the laser's place in the Defense Department's arsenal, however, which has already been scaled back significantly from the earlier, more ambitious plans for a whole fleet of aircraft equipped with the weapon.

Emm... it's a laser... why would it put out a lot of radiation?!

[quote1252875992=HeatSurge]
Emm... it's a laser... why would it put out a lot of radiation?!
[/quote1252875992]

Ever look at the warning label on a laser pointer?
ucm155727.gif

Um... aren't they referring to the fact that it can like fuck your eye? I mean, I doubt you'll be looking into that huge laser above - and if you do, it's probably going to be the last thing you see lmfao.

I think as long as you're not in front of the laser, there's negligible if any radiation... idk.

Reminds me of EDIE from that movie STEALTH a few years ago.

In terms of radiation, you'll have high energy photons hitting a target, if it's metal, it'll get attenuated and cause several interactions, based on target metal composition mainly it's atomic number, it'll have either one of the following interactions, photoelectric effect, compton collision, and pair production. (of course there are many other minor interactions as well, the interaction probability is also a function of photon energy). The photon will lose energy as it make it's way through the metal and eventually be absorbed, and in the process, causing many interactions. Now multiply all that by 1000000000.... and lots of zeros, and you'll get one very intense laser.

[quote1253194477=KombatNife]
In terms of radiation, you'll have high energy photons hitting a target, if it's metal, it'll get attenuated and cause several interactions, based on target metal composition mainly it's atomic number, it'll have either one of the following interactions, photoelectric effect, compton collision, and pair production. (of course there are many other minor interactions as well, the interaction probability is also a function of photon energy). The photon will lose energy as it make it's way through the metal and eventually be absorbed, and in the process, causing many interactions. Now multiply all that by 1000000000.... and lots of zeros, and you'll get one very intense laser.

[/quote1253194477]

STAWP WIT ALL THE SMAWRT TOK! IT R HURT MI BRAYN!

Back