BF4 "to integrate with SimCity"

OfftheRails

Found this on Kotaku last night:

Battlefield 4, coming this fall to PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and next-gen consoles, has been designed from the ground up to operate alongside the latest iteration of the massively successful SimCity franchise. EA's Director of Marketing, April O'Neil, said, "the Frostbite 3 engine of Battlefield 4 was designed from the ground up to pull data from Glassbox (the rendering engine used in SimCity), and overlay it with Destruction 2.0 meshes, vehicle spawns and control points to turn any SimCity map into a brand new Battlefield. The focus of BF4 was always going to be tight, urban combat, and crowdsourcing content in this way will guarantee a fresh experience every single time you play.

Its April first lol. First thing Im going to say when i get to work today "Try it and I will see to your deaths."

Frostbite 3 was designed from the ground up as frostbite 2.0, reality.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaawg please be april fools, no more close quarters, i want ships on 256 man maps n shit

Because it is EA I will agree with the train wreck. But if, and it's a mighty big if, if that worked I think it would be great because it would open up endless map options. Sixer and I played a game that had hundreds of maps that were user generated and it was cool. If that could be done with all the Battlefield glory then that would be awesome, but I expect a train wreck if it is tried.

April fools?!?!?! maybe?? no? oh......

Because it is EA I will agree with the train wreck. But if, and it's a mighty big if, if that worked I think it would be great because it would open up endless map options. Sixer and I played a game that had hundreds of maps that were user generated and it was cool. If that could be done with all the Battlefield glory then that would be awesome, but I expect a train wreck if it is tried.

agreeed. UTGOTY was the same way, except they released the Mod tools and developer kits for the community and it blossomed into an amazingly awesome game.

I would be awesome if DICE would release some sort of Mod tool set, or sandbox, but that would never happen.

I would be awesome if DICE would release some sort of Mod tool set, or sandbox, but that would never happen.

Dice isn't allowed to release anything of any kind for the rest of their existence unless EA expressly desires it. They are merely a tool in EA's belt. Its like the RS Focus that one year, you can have it in any color as long as you want Blue. You can only blame Dice for failures and problems under the severely compressed time tables EA gives them. But nothing any of those developers desire to do will ever see the light of day unless those desires are purely aesthetic in nature. Must be fun to work there not only do they get beaten down by EA, their fans beat them down too.

Just found out this is not just an April Fools Joke, its a fake April Fools Joke.

"Massively successful SimCity franchise" APRIL FOOLS!

BF2 PR > BF 3 / 4.....I want Black Sands Studios to make a PR mod for 3 or 4!!!!!!!

Most people 30 or over should :p... but what does April O'Neil have to do with anything in this thread?

Its in the first post...

Rails wrote the fake article that is in itself an April fulls joke but its a fake article and that is a joke as well.

Dice isn't allowed to release anything of any kind for the rest of their existence unless EA expressly desires it. They are merely a tool in EA's belt. Its like the RS Focus that one year, you can have it in any color as long as you want Blue. You can only blame Dice for failures and problems under the severely compressed time tables EA gives them. But nothing any of those developers desire to do will ever see the light of day unless those desires are purely aesthetic in nature. Must be fun to work there not only do they get beaten down by EA, their fans beat them down too.

Just found out this is not just an April Fools Joke, its a fake April Fools Joke.

I actually read through a post where DICE actually came on and discussed why they cannot release mod tools right now.. they said it's a maybe.

I actually read through a post where DICE actually came on and discussed why they cannot release mod tools right now.. they said it's a maybe.

Dices official responses are moderated, unofficial thoughts slip out now and then. Its part of the community managers job to make sure the responses are either a run around or place the blame on anyone but Electronic Arts. This will probably be enforced pretty hard this year given the internal state of EA. Just a guess though but right now there is mass panic.

CEO had to step down recently.

People criticize the stance that the tools they use now are not fit for the communities use. I actually believe them. I have some bootlegged software from one of Sony's studio and there is not a single common sense or intuitive design element in the damn thing. You could teach college courses just for this particular application. The tools for Source is one level of difficulty the internal stuff some of these places crank the dial to 11.

The workflow for sound in Frostbite reminds me alot of the workflow for nvidia's shader tools:
BF3_audio_engineering.jpg
They seem to have a pretty good design based on that screen shot but then again thats just sound nothing else. I do have a shot of mapping tools somewhere.

Back