BF2142 and Punkbuster vs Windows 7 and Forefront Client Security

curriegrad2004

Have people getting problems with Windows 7 and Forefront Client Security when playing Battlefield 2142?

I'm getting kicked off this server by Punkbuster even though I'm only running Firefox, fb2k, FCS, ISA Server Firewall Client, uTorrent, Daemon Tools and Outlook 2003.

Back in XP this never happened. Now it's happening under Windows 7. Any insights on this?

What version of Windows 7 are you running? - Build 7100, 7600 (RTM), etc. What is the EXACT PB error message that your getting?

I've had many issues in the past with PB and Windows 7. Here's what fixed it (for me and many others).

1. Install Battlefield 2142 - at the PunkBuster installation phase, opt to not install it.
2. Once Battlefield 2142 is installed, install the PB files (NOT services).
3. After the PB files have been installed using the latest version of PBSetup.exe (3.4), install the PB services.

Last but not least, make sure your firewall has the ports forwarded for it and you are running BF2142 as Administrator and have disabled UAC (User Account Control).

I'm running the RTM version of Windows 7

Hm...

1.When I first installed BF2142, it didn't even give me an option to install PB or not. It just installed without asking me.
2. Can't disable UAC for some reason. My domain admin disallows disabling UAC by local admins.
3. Haven't run that, Should I run it to see what happens?

Tried disabling UAC using those three methods, but every time the machine refreshes the group policy settings from the DC, UAC is on instantly again.

Stupid domain admin...

Is this your own computer we're talking about?

BC if you're using a school computer or something... forget about disabling UAC or anything (if it's properly/well configured).

From the sounds of it you are trying this at work. Word of advice, Don't. Easy way to get fired. All it takes is one complaint even after you have permission.

Nah don't worry about it. All IT people love when you install video games on their domain.

Actually, I'm the higher ups in my company. Yeah, I'm one of the IT worker bees... SQL DB Admin to be specific

Basically, I'm trying to install this on my personal laptop that I willingly integrated into the domain over the reason that I get FCS, Office 2003 and a few other progs for free.

So, no. But close. It's my personal laptop here, so no worries. Besides, I have Enterprise Admin and Domain Admin rights on the company I work for anyways.

I do have access to edit the entire domain's GPO settings, but I really don't want to mess up the entire network just for my personal enjoyment during after work hours. But the actual IT person that's doing the admin work doesn't really mind if I mess around some settings.

It might be easier / more secure to just install a second operating system and boot to it when you want to game? You might have to repartition though... which would be a PITA.

I 100% agree with you HeatSurge. I used to do the same thing at my old job with BF2. I ran Win2000 for work applications and XP for gaming. It worked so well it was scary. It may be a PITA but by the time you actually figure out all the GP settings and get everything working under Win7 you could've already partitioned and been gaming.

I resized a partition once with GParted (one 120GB NTFS to 2x60GB NTFS for dual-boot):
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

The original partition had windows XP on it. I installed Vista on the other one. I didn't have to change anything for XP to realize that its partition shrunk in half - it just continued booting happily. Obviously you have to have the free space to do that, but you should know that being a sysadmin and all.

GParted worked flawlessly through the bootable CD you can download above... but I'd seriously consider backing up what you have just in case it fucked up...

When I did with in the past I've used Partition Magic and Ghost. Just make an ISO image of your current partition and go to town.

Nah, I actually installed Windows 7 using the VHD method.

Now I have two windows 7 installations, one for work and the other just for gaming - all done without having to repartition.

But really, thanks for the heads up on getting BF2142 to work now.

Back