Baseball brings communities together in tough times

SlamJammer

I wanted to shine some light on just how special this World Series really is. If you’re not living in the Houston area, you may not see or feel what I am referring to. Back in New York City and the Metropolitan area surrounding the city immediately after 911 attacks, The NY Yankees played the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2001 WS. Obviously, baseball had pretty much been knocked to the bottom of the list of things that were on people’s minds around here. But that changed when Pres. Bush threw out that first pitch. Along with the apparent fight that the Yanks were giving the Diamondbacks, completely transformed that city and brought EVERYONE together. The combination lifted everyone to a type of togetherness you don’t often see. I will never forget those times having lived it so close to home.

So now in Houston, after the most devastating hurricane in our country’s history, we have almost the same situation again. A horrific event has affected a major city whose baseball team is in the WS. I would be surprised if this WS doesn’t bring the people of Houston and of Texas together that much more than banding together to battle the aftermath of this brutal hurricane.

My wish to all of you from the Houston area is that this WS brings you together even tighter, and that it lifts your spirits making you stronger the way it did for all of us up here in the NYC area after 911.

Go Astros.

Back