And you thought YOUR job was difficult..

BOT#00001

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgsRRRnHiz8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgsRRRnHiz8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Climbing on top of those flimsy steel rods would make me shit myself...

I had a buddy that used to do that in Ohio. Nothing that tall though. I climbed a 400' tower with him to help change the bulbs at the top. never again. My legs were on fire by the time I got to the top and that was only 400 feet. they change the bulbs on those towers on a regular schedule whether they need to be changed or not.

These guys only made a few major violations. You have to be tied off at all times now. The video must be older where we did not tie off the entire distance. Today you would be switching tie downs every few feet. Pain in the ass, but much safer. Also the carabiners they are using would not pass code now. Too large and would have a tendency to fall off if you fell.

Great views from the top though. I'll stick to high rises with elevators and then go over the side though.lol

SERIOUSLY! I saw the clips they were using to tie off were like 5 inches across..yet they were putting them on tiny open metal pegs with 2 inch wide circles on the end. As if that will magically keep it from slipping off. My hands get sweaty watchin those videos.

that makes you think if anyone develops a lightweight parachute just in case shit hits the fan... well the lightweight parachute exists, however, i wonder if they even carry them...

Sometimes they use highly trained heli pilots and linemans to do the job. My teacher say they get fried as quickly as those climbers.

btw how do I attache a video to my message, like a youtube video?

To post YouTube video get the embed code from youtube and copy and paste that code into your post. there is usually a button that says embed on youtube videos.

I have seen them deploy helicopters to do the jobs, but not normally. Helicopters are usually used in very remote areas where it takes too long just to get to the tower. On an average day my buddy can replace the bulbs on two 400' towers in one day. Depending on the number of bulbs, wind speed and other environmental conditions. In the Late eighties he was paid just over $20.00 an hour for doing this work. Today I think they average a little over $27.00 - $35.00 an hour today. Helicopters cost thousands per day to use. Makes more sense financially to have two or three people climb them.

Thanks Bob.

I agree with everything you said. I just want to add that they use a helicopter when they want to fix something asap.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6_NEAEGeFIw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6_NEAEGeFIw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I would think they would get paid around $100/hr to do stuff like that. Shit if a storm comes when you got the light open what are you gonna do? At 1700ft you could jump couldn't you? Or would that not be enough time to slow down (Fall 200-300ft before opening to get clear of tower.)?

With a chute packed for base jumping, it's more than plenty of height to jump.

The problem is, I don't think those guys want to carry huge chute backpacks up and down all the time.

They could install emergency chute boxes on top of towers LMFAO... not.

Yah parachutes arent light either...and theyre already carrying 30 lbs of tools swinging beneath them.

Back