AH 1 Cobra crashes in Korea after racing against a Corvette ZR1

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6EsoWpTO2qg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like at the end of the race he initiated a return to target and then things did not go correctly.

Some other and onboard footage:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SaEnINpd_k8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My understanding is that there was an equipment malfunction of some variety. Apparently this guy is one of the top Cobra pilots in the world. Fortunately he's OK.

jas

Well it looked like there was lift on the blades, but it didn't look like maximum lift. Let's face it, we've all crashed Cobra's doing the EXACT same maneuver.

at 58-59 seconds the pilot put in right cyclic and right pedal to do what you call a pitch back turn or return to target, unfortunately for gramps it looks like he either over controlled, lost his visual plane of reference or he pulled in too much collective that it drooped the rotor due to an overtorque...idk thought im not an expert lol....

What noob!! wasting assets lollll..

pretty cool vid though, sucks he fucking crashed.

I've done that in BF3.

Anyone ever play Longbow 2 from Jane's? That was a great chopper sim. My point was, I did it in the Apache too. :)

looks like his mouse malfunctioned

Sux when your battery runs out? I use wired.

at 58-59 seconds the pilot put in right cyclic and right pedal to do what you call a pitch back turn or return to target, unfortunately for gramps it looks like he either over controlled, lost his visual plane of reference or he pulled in too much collective that it drooped the rotor due to an overtorque...idk thought im not an expert lol....

What noob!! wasting assets lollll..

pretty cool vid though, sucks he fucking crashed.

How are you not, I thought you fly these things IRL D: ...

Oh, I thought he flew apaches... nvm, yeah I know the difference.

Lex, will you ever fly anything different from BH? Or do you go through different/additional type of training to fly AH?

He is a blackhawk pilot. Its like doing barrel rolls in a 747 you just don't do it. Especially not with passengers.

Lol, not really, we are actually faster than the Apache, and a more stable aerobatic platform, the only reason why we (the black hawk community) don't do barrel rolls, loops and all that other shit is because the Army puts regulations and limitations on our angles of pitch roll, and yaw in flight. Sikorsky Rated the aircraft to -/+90* of pitch and -/+180* of roll out of the factory. aerobatic flight puts a lot of stress on the air frame and thus costs a fuck load more $$ and man hours per flight hour. In the late 80s and early 90's the Army Actually let us fly the aircraft to 90/180 untill some dude burned one into the ground with people in the back, and the maintenance costs were insanely high. The Army is conservatively cheap, they decided that they don't need their assault pilots doing barrel rolls and all that other shit so they did not pay the $$$ for the approval test flight w/ the US ARMY stamp of approval.

As an air frame she is more than capable of doing consecutive barrel rolls, loops etc.. (all of which I have done in the simulator) however I'd go to jail if I did that shit in the actual aircraft lol.. Funny enough the Turks allow their 60 pilots to do barrel rolls and inverted flight etc etc. Australia uses the Attack variant as their primary attack helicopter and the 160th uses the a similar modified version that delivers a great deal more firepower than the Apache.

I could fly another helicopter If I asked for a transition, which would be awesome, If a got an Apache slot I'd take it, but the Hawk is still the most capable aircraft in the US inventory (sorry had to sell my wares loll...)

Here is a small vid, not really the best taste of what we can do, but just a teaser: [video=youtube;7ayGr7bWIg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayGr7bWIg0[/video]

Heehh Where is the fucking engineer! You never find one when need repair!

what lex said about MH-s , those things are filthy nimble

Back