64 bit questions

roth140

well...i want to make the most out of this pc build. dual core amd, 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb sata (thinking of a second for raid 0), dual nvidia 8600 gt oc (sli). right now im running XP Pro 32 bit.

i was looking on newegg at vista pro 64 bit for builders.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116215

if i go this route, what do i have to worry about? can i still run 32 bit applications on a 64 OS, like battlefield?. cani have xp and pro installed and choose which one to boot up? also, what about MS Office? is there a 64bit version of that to buy? im sure i could read and learn more if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I've only experienced one incompatibility issue with Vista on 64 bit. Other then that it runs pretty decent. I'd suggest Ultimate if you want everything or Home Premium if you don't want all the bells n whistles. Everything in your setup looks perfect ;).

Mainly the user-interface and 64-bit = up to 8 GB's currently for consumers. Vista Aero all in Ultimate I believe as well as a few other bells and whistles. Mainly you get visual improvements. Does look nice though I must say :) *not better then linux.. but then again, Windows was forced upon most of us*.

i wonder if i can still run office xp... ill probably have to go up to office 2003 or something. also, do you know what the system builder copy from new egg means? someone posted a review saying it could only be installed once. that doesnt make sense. ive installed my copy of xp pro atleast a dozen times. i just want to do this right since i have the hardware now.

thanks soulzz.

acctually home and ultimate look the same and both come in 64 and 32 the difference is that ultimate adds bit locker 128 bit incription and remote desktop access that is all.

it also adds ultimate extras savman, like dream scene, Texas hold'um poker, and one other totally fucking worthless addon. The ms website will show a chart with the differences. I own 64 bit ultimate in the OEM, or "system builders" version and I assure you that you can instll of more than once.

Open office is a god send for office applications. You never need to worry about paying for it.

new egg review on retail home premium:

To get a 64-bit edition I had to call Microsoft as their website did not work for my key code. I was transfered 6 times all of which I was disconnected and had to dial again. Now they have it escalated and it is going to take 24 to 48 hours for their lazy hides to get back to me. Thanks Newegg if you would have advertised this product right I would not have had to spend hours on the phone to get what I though I purchased in the beginning. Also there is going to be a nominal fee to get that media I think Newegg should pay for that!

edit: http://www.newegg.com:80/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116469

I don't think you'll have a problem with it. I usually tend to not listen to most of the Newegg reviews that are written in such a fashion don't reflect the product.

I'm not sure if you can change the motherboard on OEM copies.. personally I'd try retail just to be safe.

Back