wtf comcast?!??

AmishBob

Assistant to the Regional Leadership Manager
Admin
So I got an email from Comcast yesterday telling me that they are increasing my speeds from 30/5 to 50/10/ up and down.

Since WHEN does comcast give improved anything for free? Aren't they supposed to increase my rates and decrease my speeds???

This MUST be because Google just announced that Fiber is coming to my area....

Either that or DOCSIS 3.0 was finally implemented in your area. What's funny is now FiOS in my area is offering an upgrade to 50/25 for only $10 more a month. I guess the competition we heard about years ago is finally coming to fruition.

It was announced on radio adverts for a long while that they were doing this.

Honestly I have never changed my plan since we got 6 Meg back in 04 I have whatever they give us which has been 25/4 for the longest. Ill need a new modem if it goes up again, might need one now as it is.

Yeah. They've offered 50 and 100 meg in my area for awhile now.
When google comes to my neighborhood - so long comcast!

That happened to me a few weeks ago; I now get 70/15. Never had I uttered the phrase "all right Comcast!"

Just wait till your new upgraded service has trouble working... I hate comcast

Someone I was talking to said they have tons of extra bandwidth that they just sit on. They dole it out when needed to keep the customer happy and to remain in competition with other companies.

Suck it.

It's actually 10 up but nic cards were not combining upload for some reason
attachment.php

I have never been a fan of Comcast, but around here they gave been very good. Hell, my kids are home sick right now and all three of them are streaming video without affecting my work at all. I like that.

I have never been a fan of Comcast, but around here they gave been very good. Hell, my kids are home sick right now and all three of them are streaming video without affecting my work at all. I like that.

Same. the key is NOT renting the modem from them. spend the 80 bucks on a good one. I only have to reset my modem once every 6 months.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

I heard in some areas they are really poor and suck pretty bad. But here I have consistent speed, ping and reliability.

Someone I was talking to said they have tons of extra bandwidth that they just sit on. They dole it out when needed to keep the customer happy and to remain in competition with other companies.

In some areas maybe, but nationwide no provider on this planet. It depends on your strategy. If you decided your top teir was 100 Mbps and your network could handle that for every single person living in an area. You might only be using 10% of that because most people are not on the top tier and you don't have every customer in an area.

Just about any network providor is bottlenecked at some point and is actually selling more than they can provide. Cell phone providers are probably the worst with this. There is jack shit they can do as its impossible to have a network that can handle the potential maximum users per tower and or provide advertised speed without advertising ridiculously slow speeds. The reason for throttling and data caps is actually to try and control when X% of capacity is being used.

Our providor NFO sells a ton more than they can provide and this is industry standard shit. NFO rents 10 Gbps in Chicago. They advertise 1 Gbps on each box. They have way more than 10 Boxes.
300x135px-LL-1436feb0_1854746053.png
But since literally none of their customers will ever come close to using it I can get results that are actually limited by the test sites themselves.

Cotton is probably more informed on the trunk capacities of your average cable provider. But last i heard speeds of 360 Gbps were the limit going into data centers. Terabits per second, capacities that will be needed in the near future to interconnect areas for puny little networks like Google plans to put in your neighborhood. You cant give everyone 1 Gbps and actually be able to support 100% load on current networks that I know of.

The NFO bandwidth is actually finally pushing a hard drive's sustained read or write... but they're a server provider, so basically that's their core business right there. It'd be pretty amazing if that trickles down to end/individual/home consumer level someday.

Back