Windows 8 Upgrade: What You Should Know

What you should know: Don't get this OS. Stick with 7.

I run a developer version of Pro on a laptop at work and it's not bad (although I don't care for the Modern UI). The Hyper-V client is a neat tool as well. It's pretty much the same as VMware Player (or VM Workstation if you pay for this) which allows for some additional options of running other operating systems within the Win 8/7 OS. It's a huge improvement over the XP addon that came with Win 7 which was very limited. Their work with hypervisors has come a long way from a few years ago...server 2012 is a direct result of that along with their new file system structure. I believe they got the pricing right and some vendors are even refunding the cost of the upgrade.

The framework is still 7 which for the most part, is the reason this OS allows almost no re re-installation of apps. BitLocker is a great app but like all encryption software, has some minor drawbacks. I do run Bitlocker on all my fobs (USB and eSATA) and I really like it as a whole over other encryption programs. One minor drawback is it's read-only on XP machines but with the extended support ending in 2014 from MS on XP, most residential users will be off of it.....unlike corps who still hold onto XP for dear life.

Not a huge IE fan either but IE 10 is pretty decent. Haven't ran through the security but I like the HTML 5 compatibility.

Octa

Back