Window shopping for a new mobo.

Irish

Retired Founder
Retired Founder
So now that I have a job, I plan on upgrading my pc. I plan on getting an Intel i7 Devils Canyon LGA 115o processor. Anyone recommend a great mobo to go with it? I've been eyeballing MSI brands.

Thanks!

ASUS Maximus series?

if you find a good upgrade let me know, I am in the market for 1150 MOBO as well.

Asus is the way to go. you need to decide what features you want. Depending on your needs to might only need a $100 board, so there's no need to buy a $500+ one, unless you want a bigger epeen. Go to the asus site and you can compare all their boards, side by side.

Love Asus, okay with Gigabyte, MSI I wouldn't shit on for fear of defiling my feces. MSI hardware is great, the mb bios are shit.

Love Asus, okay with Gigabyte, MSI I wouldn't shit on for fear of defiling my feces. MSI hardware is great, the mb bios are shit.

I have to disagree. I upgraded to a 6600k and a MSI Z170A Krait Gaming X3 back in August and it's been rock solid. The UEFI is very nice, at least IMO:

yw9WHSy.jpg

- I haven't tried overclocking yet as there is no need. My GPU (R7 260x) can't even keep the i5 fed at *stock*. I am however running an Arctic Cooling 120 AIO on the CPU, for future oc'ing.

Now, granted this is my first MSI board and you've countless had dozens I'd at least keep them in the discussion. The only thing that I don't like about the board is on the right hand side, while inside the case, is the board extends past the stand-offs. So in the area where you plug the motherboard 24 pin power, there is nothing underneath supporting the board and you need to be careful.

Asus is always a sure bet, unless you're buying an X99, my local microcenter said about half of their Asus x99s come back defective in some sort of way.

I had another thought. Do you guys prefer to leave your OS installed on a drive when you get a new motherboard? Or do you wipe your drive and fresh install?

Asus is always a sure bet, unless you're buying an X99, my local microcenter said about half of their Asus x99s come back defective in some sort of way.
By defective they mean that whoever was building them didn't have a clue. Seriously, I've bought returned Asus mb at microcenter as open box returns and never had a damn thing wrong with them. My current mb is a good example. Anyway, that's my rant. People claim it's defective or it's "dead" or anything thing else rather than admit they don't know what they're doing when it comes to building a system.

Your're probably right, just repeating what I heard from the employee there, also most of them have pretty funky reviews on the web.

I would go for a clean install, I didn't do it when I changed Mobo and processor and kind of wish I did. Pain in the ass to uninstall and install new drivers.

Back