Want to build new computer.

The 7970's are OOS at Newegg but I was looking at the GTX 580 anyway. My Power Supply is only 850W. Is that big enough you think?

i-2500k is continually rated best bang for the buck when it comes to FPS gaming cup's. Anything less and you may need to upgrade sooner and anything more, you are just paying too much.

Definitely going to max out my ram!

LOL. I dont think your planning on maxing out your ram. My board takes 32GB of 2133mhz ram which would be about.... $1500 dollars for the ram, back down to 1333mhz comes to about 280 bucks.

8GB is sufficient but with 16GB kits falling below 100 bucks and decent 16GB kits right at 100 bucks if your keeping the machine a long time it makes sense.

I adjusted my settings I am getting 100+ now. Looking foward to seeing your build come together though.

Yeah his 580 should push him in the right direction for sure. Im running Ultra on the 570 with AA down one notch to 2X MSAA, HBAO turned down to SSAO at 1080P pushes 55 to 120 fps. Typical 60 to 75. That is without the overclock which I dont bother running most of the time.
Could be betterthough :( Im actually happy with it.

LOL! You're right Rain. I guess I didn't realize what I was saying about maxing my RAM. 8 GB will be all I am installing. I'm not sure my Windows7 Professional will recognize any more than that anyway. I have 6GB now.

LOL! You're right Rain. I guess I didn't realize what I was saying about maxing my RAM. 8 GB will be all I am installing. I'm not sure my Windows7 Professional will recognize any more than that anyway. I have 6GB now.

As buttercup highlights Windows 7 Pro's artificial ram limit is 192 GB, which most board/cpu's supporting 16 to 32 at this point. I dont keep a close eye on it but the only time I have hit 8GB of ram used was while running Adobe Media Encoder and BF3 at the same time which is highly unusual.

As buttercup highlights Windows 7 Pro's artificial ram limit is 192 GB, which most board/cpu's supporting 16 to 32 at this point. I dont keep a close eye on it but the only time I have hit 8GB of ram used was while running Adobe Media Encoder and BF3 at the same time which is highly unusual.

Yeah, I looked at that but I guess I read it wrong. That means I could, if possible, install up to 192 GB or RAM on my 4 Slots? I may go up to 16 GB sometime then just so I can get a boner!

Yeah, I looked at that but I guess I read it wrong. That means I could, if possible, install up to 192 GB or RAM on my 4 Slots? I may go up to 16 GB sometime then just so I can get a boner!

One day in the future with another board and cpu, but yours no. I planned on having this machine about 5 years so I went with 16. I was seriously going to upgrade later this year anyhow but now im not so sure.

Yes, that's the way I was looking at it. I have a pair of GTS 250's and a Quad 9550, and DDR2 RAM, so you can understand how long it has been since I have upgraded. I built this computer for BF2142. I'm hoping this will get me by at least 3 years. I'm sure even a year from now I will be dreaming for some new parts.

Hell duke I want to swap this board and cpu this year was gonna let it go for 250 to cover half the cost of the upgrade. Probably a new GPU in 2013. GPU obviously is going to happen when it needs to and when the money exists. But kinda rethinking putting 300 bucks somewhere else. Everyone will want to tell me keep what I have because Ivy Bridge is only a 10% increase but thats clock for clock. If I hit 5 Ghz not only is it 10% over sandy bridge clock for clock ill be 500 mhz over where I am now. Add native USB 3 and PCI-E 3.0 support that will be useful for the latest graphics cards 3 years from now. Looks tastey.

Yeah hell we all have to upgrade atleast once before we replace altogether.

. If I hit 5 Ghz not only is it 10% over sandy bridge clock for clock ill be 500 mhz over where I am now.

Yeah and that doesn't do jack shit for gaming as far as fps goes so who cares? I know you use your pc for many other things, but primarily for a gaming rig it's not worth the money. Oh, wait I can get 1-3 fps faster than my X58? Fuck you very much Intel. I'll wait.

Yeah and that doesn't do jack shit for gaming as far as fps goes so who cares? I know you use your pc for many other things, but primarily for a gaming rig it's not worth the money. Oh, wait I can get 1-3 fps faster than my X58? Fuck you very much Intel. I'll wait.

Yeah you know that I certainly do more than gaming. I forgot to mention I would be moving to the i7-3770K. As we speak I have all 4 cores loaded at 100% and this will go on for 6 hours before spitting out the results of a scientific nightmare. I really wanna do native 8 threaded folding though get 40,000 points a day versus the 15,000 I do now. Then there is the video encoding and whatever else. But yet again if I did the upgrade now it still has to hold for 4 more years.

Duke could care less on that topic though. Figure someone will take a 2500K + this mobo for $250 especially now that you can put insurance on the cpu for 20 bucks haha.

Well all my parts are in so when I get home I'll be tearing apart and rebuilding. I'll have access to TS3 so I may have to jump on for help although I think I can manage. Only thing really new to me is the liquid cooler and it looked like it screws to the fan but not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a piece of cake; just make sure you do a dry run of the CPU mount so you get used to the feel. Sixer is always on and I will be after the kids are in bed (@9:00 central) if you have any questions. I don't know if any others have that cooler. The radiator screws right to the exhaust fan and, if you have an extra one, mount it on the front of the radiator as well.

This is a pretty good video showing how to install the Kuhler...easy, but if you've never done it before it can take some time to figure out by yourself. The video does a good job showing what goes where, I thought.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RXRhM2IpolY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok getting close to shutting this one down. I am going to load Windows on my SSD but not the game, right?

No, put the game on the SSD as well. Most programs you won't need to load onto the SSD, but for faster in-game load times make sure it's installed on the SSD. Also, BF has notoriously given everyone problems when it's not installed on your main drive.

Edit: To be clear, load Windows and your game on the SSD.

Back