Vista SP2

I'd say if it's not on microsoft update, it's still in beta.

If you want betas (gotta be quite adventurous for SP betas imo), sign up for ms technet...

Its not showing up on the windows update but this link is to the actual sp2 download. The beta ended last month and it looks as though sp2 has actually gone live.

My advice - get Windows 7. I've got it to work with 2142 and I don't want to go back to Vista. It's not that I don't like Vista, I just love Windows 7. It boots fast, manages memory efficiently, etc. At first I was having trouble getting 2142 to work, but after few simple tweaks, I was able to get it running no problem.

Isn't windows 7 still in beta? Actually isn't the beta over?

Windows 7 is on Release Candidate status. Technically, yea, It's still a beta, but it works great. Granted, I don't know if it would work as well for you since you are in the web design business, using Photoshop and other programs that might be incompatible with the OS. You could certainly give it a shot by installing it on a separate partition. Up to you though ;).

I may give it a shot... Or I may just wait until I can purchase it and use SP2 in the mean time.

Yes SP2 is officially released as of today. They actually had it release on MS TechNet earlier this month but for some unknown reason removed it.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16978

The only problem with Windows 7 is you can't play any punkbuster supported games online with it. Evenbalance says that won't support a Beta OS and almost everyone who has tried to play gets Windows API errors and gets kicked.

See - thats why I'm going to wait. Thanks for the confirmation there soldier. I will be doing the SP2 when I get home today. I already remote desktoped to my home computer to download it - but want to be sitting in front of the pc when I do the install.

Computerworld - Although Microsoft quietly delivered Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) to TechNet and MSDN subscribers last week, the company has still has not made the upgrade available to other users.

Three weeks ago, Microsoft announced it had wrapped up work on Vista SP2, and had slapped a "release to manufacturing" label on the code. At the time, although a Microsoft spokeswoman confirmed that Vista SP2 had been handed to computer makers -- who would presumably install it on new PCs sold between now and when Windows 7 ships -- she had no idea when TechNet and MSDN subscribers would be given the upgrade.

According to the TechNet download site, Microsoft posted Vista SP2 disk images for both the 32- and 64-bit versions last Friday, May 14. Microsoft has consistently only promised Vista SP2 before the end of the second quarter, which would mean a deadline before the end of June. A company spokeswoman repeated that today. "We don't have any additional information to share outside of what we've said previously -- second quarter of 2009," she said in an e-mail reply to questions about the company's silence on Vista's second service pack.

It's not surprising that Microsoft hasn't trumpeted Vista SP2's availability, or rushed it to the public. Even high-level executives have recently taken to putting Vista on a virtual trash heap.

Last week, for example, Bill Veghte the senior vice president for Windows, told companies and organizations to drop Vista deployment plans "if you're just starting your testing" and instead "switch over and do your testing on the [Windows 7] Release Candidate." Microsoft delivered Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) to the public on May 4, and may have it ready to sell as early as October.

Users now running Vista SP1 will see an offer to download and install SP2 on Windows Update at some point, Microsoft has said. Reports have speculated that Microsoft will flip the switch either next week or the first week of June.

Hmmm... I don't like the fact that Microsoft is "secretly" releasing this important update! With so many people using their OS - there should be a push. Unless they were completely unsure of themselves or just want to sweep this one under the rug. I actually can't wait for windows 7 - where everybody will be back on the same page again! Just like the old xp days!

Vista Service Pack 2 sees the light
Works on Windows Server 2008 too
By Ben Hardwidge
Tuesday, 26 May 2009, 17:49

AFTER A FEW months of BETA testing, Microsoft has finally released the next official first aid kit for Windows Vista - Service Pack 2.

If you've been running the BETA of Service Pack 2 that was released last year, then you'll need to uninstall that before installing the official service pack. Plus, you'll also need to have Service Pack 1 installed first.

Although the Service Pack hasn't made it to Windows Update yet, you can now grab the official downloads from Microsoft's Download Center. The installer includes Service Pack 2 for both Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, resulting in a 348.3MB file for 32-bit version - and a 577.4MB file for 64-bit version.

Despite the massive file size, however, there's not much to get excited about. The update mainly includes all of the bits and bobs that have been released since Service Pack 1, although this doesn't include Internet Explorer 8.

Microsoft says that the Service Pack will also bring you native writing to Blu-Ray discs, improved Wi-Fi performance when resuming from Sleep mode and support for Bluetooth 2.1.

The Service Pack will also include the ID and vendor strings for VIA's 64-bit CPUs. It's not exactly a must-have download, but Microsoft says that, "while most updates contained in SP2 are available as individual downloads, the roll-up convenience of SP2 is a major benefit for administrators."

If you're thinking of updating to the new service pack, then you may need to remove a few language packs before you start if you've installed them already.

The new service pack is currently only available in English, Japanese, Spanish, German and French. In fact, if you've installed any other language packs, then you'll need to remove them in order to install Service Pack 2 at the moment. However, Microsoft says that it has plans for an ‘additional 31 languages together in a second wave sometime after the first release.'

In the meantime, the link for the all-language standalone installer is currently broken. µ

windows 7 RC is valid until June 1, 2010.

edit: SP2 just hit my Windows Update as i submitted my original response.

Back