Turns out Afhanistan is full of Afghans!

Zappypants

Hiya all. Internet here runs $100 a month, needless to say I bum other people's computers. If anyone is at Kandahar, swing by Juliet ramp. How's gaming life? Any news on BF3? I should ask....any SOLID news? Only computers here with any speed are at work, and they're filtered all to hell.
Deploymentking: You should REALLY try to do the Air Advisor thing...there are 25 of us working with the Army Afghan Air Force (obviously they aren't great in number). We are sorta tied to Kabul, but we're officially the 438th AETG (Air Expeditionary Training Group). We do the mentoring thing, plus we ride on the Mi-17 Helo's, more there to protect the pilot (US pilot training Afghan co-pilot, Afghan F.E., Afghan mechanic, and occasionally some Afghan passengers) in case things get squirrely. Really tho, give it some thought!
Just wanted to say hi to the clan. Take care all!

Riding in an Mi-17? Damn, you like to live on the edge! Do you bring extra hydraulic fluid with you "just in case"? Good luck and stay safe.

You know, if I hadn't gone to the school (ha) for it @ Biggs AAF/Ft. Bliss, I would be a wee bit nervous. But honestly, it's built like a tank....and probably weighs as much. You're right though, I've never seen a piece of machinery, much less a piece of machinery that is supposed to be airworthy, leak so much. The running joke is you never have to change oil :)
It HAS been an eye opening experience working with the Afghans. They're (well, the ones I work with, and the interpreters) good people, but the maintenance world I come from would have a heart attack. Torque wrench? WTF is that? We've raped the A-10 squadron down the road from Davis Mothan for alot of stuff lol.
A big issue we have is counterfiet (sp?) parts. We found 3 of the 5 rotor blades on a FMC helo were fake, as in, they were at the end-of-life, shipped out years ago for destruction, stolen along the way, painted, and put on the black market as new. THAT makes me nervous lol.
News wise, everyone has their collective panties in a bunch about the invalid votes going on here, looks like they're going to have another vote after Ramadan. Who knows. Found out a childhood best friend of mine, Army, in the 501st, was over here, and was involved in an explosion last week sometime, and is now in Germany, which isn't a good sign. If any of you Army cats can find the status of 1SGT (he's an E-8, whatever that is in Army-speak)John Randall Zaremba, B-Comp, 501st, I would very much appreciate it. We have a Army medic assigned to us, and he's doing what he can to find out. Thanks again.

"Torque wrench? WTF is that?"

A torque wrench is a tool used to precisely set the torque of a fastener such as a nut or bolt. It is usually in the form of a socket wrench with special internal mechanisms. A torque wrench is used where the tightness of screws and bolts is crucial. It allows the operator to measure the torque applied to the bolt so it can be matched to the specifications. This permits proper tension and loading of all parts.

I'm an gearhead. I know what it is.

[quote1252419884=Zappypants]

It HAS been an eye opening experience working with the Afghans. They're (well, the ones I work with, and the interpreters) good people, b
[/quote1252419884]

Little word of advice...NEVER trust the locals. Be cordial of course but the moment you put your guard down youre a target. Ive seen it happen on more than one occasion. One involved one of the police departments a PMT was training had one of their guys walk up to the humvee after it was parked. and blew himself up. The other was an LN in iraq who owned a lil hadji movie shop. Was gathering intel on troop movements and plotting targets with a gps for the mortar teams. I met him, seemed real nice.

Heh...I know what a torque wrench is, they thought i was explaining nuclear fusion, from the looks on their faces.

BOT--yeah, I hear ya. We've heard more than one story such as yours. The old "keep your friends close" saying is very true.

I heard your interpreter knows your lingo. Blarg honk honk. Take care brother and your fishing gear is getting rusting laying out in the yard, I mean is well covered.

Not nice Red! And I'm digging the FSM avatar.

On a serious note, would appreciate it if the clan would throw out a prayer, or at least a friendly thought, to my friend Randy, mentioned above. He was injured in an explosion here, and is now at Walter Reed. Won't go into detail about his injuries out of respect for him and his family, but they are serious, from what I can gather.

Sorry to hear about the long time friend. The good news is if he’s already at Walter then he was well enough to travel from Germany which is a good sign in my book.

Back