Turbo boost on i7-6700HQ?

TanneRain

So I bought an Alienware laptop a couple months ago and it has the new Skylake i7-6700hq and always talked up it's "turbo boost" for 4 cores at 3.8ghz or whatever. Being a novice at boosting, overclocking, etc...does anyone know how to access or test this easily? I know going into overclock or boosting stuff can really mess up your hardware if you aren't careful, so I'm being pretty cautious here.

It'll initiate the boost on it's own by default. I wouldn't bother overclocking that cpu or any current cpu for gaming because there's no point. Games used to be cpu dependent but now they're gpu dependent so there's no point.

ya, A. you will void the warranty, B. its a laptop, they hate heat, so adding more of it will surely melt it down C. if performance is your goal, time for a tower

It'll initiate the boost on it's own by default. I wouldn't bother overclocking that cpu or any current cpu for gaming because there's no point. Games used to be cpu dependent but now they're gpu dependent so there's no point.

Word, that's what I figured. I get fantastic performance without the boost, but my curious side was making me look into it.

Yep auto boosts as long as the task needs it and the temps allow it. Like turbo said.... don't oc a laptop.

Back