Tomato! WRT54G

amazon3d

Well I just got a WRT54G v.3 router from a friend that had no use for it. It had DD-WRT on it already so I figured I'd switch it to Tomato, seems how it gets more praise. I had to switch it back to Linksys firmware before I could do Tomato, and its working perfectly. I also modded it to have a fan so I could max out my transmission power to 251mW vs. the 43mW that Linksys uses normally. I can now go around 300' away and still receive a connection. I swapped out the fan from the one that is in the pictures to make it a bit more quiet.
Pics:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

That's pretty nifty! How long did it take to fully mod everything?

I have heard of Tomato. Does this firmware let you raise the transmission power? The fan install was pretty cool. Nice job

Yes. The stock transmission is 53 or 43mW (forgot which) and right now I am running 180mW, with max at 251mW.
At stock I could go around the yard. With 120mW I was able to go to the end of the block. Now Im not sure how far. The fan is to keep it cool If I run over ~150mW. (Also helps keep it stable as Linksys is bad at staying cool)

I've had my WRT 54gs for a while now. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever need to expand my transmission range.

Maybe you should go into business and charge people on your block now for wireless internet............lol

LOL. I like to use all my bandwidth :p
Tomato has a lot of other nice features too. But the increase in transmission power is great when watching movies in the house via laptop too.

TBH I dont recall I think it is blowing, my router does like it though what ever it is doing.

very cool, i should get pics of my NAS box. ive got some soldering to do still (just no free time). modding is fun.

I've been using tomato for over a year now. Never had any problems and the router is 100% responsive even a month since the last restart.

Linksys should give the guy a share of margin on every router they sell and license his software for official use on their routers as far as I'm concerned.

Yea the fact that they only use 43mw output is outright scandals. I mean its one thing if you offer an ability to throttle the power, but squatting it down so you have to buy repeaters is retarded.

Actually, I experimented with the output power a year ago, and at that time I found very little to no benefit from making it higher. I don't know if it makes a difference in real speed for anyone else...

When you increase output power, you also increase noise in the signal from what I remember reading a year ago, so it's kind of a tradeoff...

Nevertheless, mine is running at 70mw right now :)

Back