TitanFall Beta Review(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishBob

Assistant to the Regional Leadership Manager
Admin
Thought I would start a new thread as the other Titanfall thread was getting pretty long and painful.
I'd like to hear what other people who have tried the game think of it.

My thoughts after playing about 4 matches:

1. The required training missions are quick, painless, and fun. Very well done in my opinion. No BS objectives, etc.

2. First multiplayer game in I didn't feel clueless or like i had to camp or anything. I ran in and started killing and having fun. The game is vary chaotic and fast paced. You full surrounded often (even if you aren't). I don't mind the grunts/specter's running around as meat shields. There are enough of them to provide the occasional extra points/kills but not so much that you feel like you are playing a gimped zombie/hoard mode game. The weapons feel like a combination of CoD4 guns and Halo Reach, as does the whole game.

Here is why it feels like a combo: There is no fall damage in the game. This is due to gravity being different on the planets you play on than in reality. Because of this the dynamics feel like halo, just a tad bouncy. The movement speed is more like fast paced CoD though.

More on the guns: The limited weapon selection didn't bother me. You basically have these choices:
Pistols: 45ish gun, and another gun. One does more damange than the other but shoots slower. etc.
Rifle: Assualt or SMG. Typical difference between the two rifles. Another choice in this slot is the "auto aim pistol" kind of a gimmic, but I'm sure some people will really enjoy it.
Anti-Titan Weapon: Either a rocket that locks on but reloads slow, or a low powered mini rocket gun that shoots fast, but doesn't lock and does far less damage.

3. Titans. Piloting a titan is very fun and I didn't find it frustrating or clunky at all - aside from the inability to jump in any way. You are limited to horizontal (forward, backward, left right) movement and being able to "power slide" either of the directions using your jump key which is counter intuitive.

The titans weapons feel pretty well balanced and the battles are fun. I never felt like I lost a battle because of some stupid special ability or weapon they had. Its a strategic tool that I look forward to learning how to use.

4. Overall gameplay: Very balanced and fun. I haven't figured out how to use burn cards yet (one time abilities/boosts) but I'll figure it out tonight.

5. Beta Review: Solid game. Because of the limited weapon/titan selection it feels more like a Demo than a Beta. I mean that in a good way because I haven't encountered any bugs or frustrations to date.

I love the smart pistol, very satisfying to get the drop on someone with it. Love the wall jumping too.
I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far.

It's definitely fun. Fun enough to last more than 3-6 months for most? Probably not.

It's definitely fun. Fun enough to last more than 3-6 months for most? Probably not.

I'd agree with that if all the content of the game was only the beta. I'm curious about their "multiplayer campaign" and what that entails.
I Think if they keep enough good content coming, have some fun events, and put out some quality DLC - then it could be very successful.

I can see this being fun with 5 or 6 friends who I play with consistently. Getting to know each others styles, etc.

anyone else played the beta?

Sent via Tapatalk carrier pigeon

I have it, but haven't tried it.

The smart pistol...what I've watched of it on YouTube...ugh.

I haven't had any issues being killed by it more than any other gun. if you stay moving around its a non issue

game doesn't look that fun too me! but I love zombie games

I played twice and the first time I was loving it alot. The second time it was not so good. It seemed to wear out real quick. Will likely give it another shot. Not so sure I would pay $60 for it though.

I'm not sure this game will have dedicated servers or not. I am still waiting for the actual game to come out to see if I want to buy it or not.

it will have dedicated servers (no individual single player is a host) but servers will not be for rent

I love the smart pistol, very satisfying to get the drop on someone with it. Love the wall jumping too.
I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far.
I did not play beta or Titanfall but played Titanfall2. I enjoyed the game. Yes, when you are able to have the smart pistol, it is a killer. I would like to have one in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back