Thoughts on a new build

Vordar

I wanted to get some input on what I'm gathering so far. I have a new SSD already, but this is what I'm thinking about throwing together. A lot of things seems to be 10-25$ off at new egg this weekend, so I'm looking to move on maybe the graphics card this weekend and the case during the week, or something. My current build does work after the clean install, but I notice things tweaking out a little after playing hardline for an extended period of time, same with h1z1 (no issues in wow).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mHb8sY

I dont think I need an i7, and the FTW card means I wouldnt worry about any sort of OCing on it. The case and MOBO are slightly more for their looks, but I imagine they would do the job just fine. The cooler should fit perfectly in the top of the case (as per NZXTs site). For fun I would be looking at a modular PSU and might play with wrappign the cables myself, and the ram Im in the air about but figured there isn't enough difference in price, I could go with a matching color as long as the speeds were decent, etc.

Thoughts/opinions? Should I wait for something, or better options out there? Simply because of the window, I wanted to try and keep things black white and blue, but if there's a huge difference in quality etc, I can certainly switch things up. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback guys.

if you are NOT looking to OC your processor, I think that is a bit overkill on the cooler.

For a few dollars more I would go for the i7 4790k. The HT will always come in handy.

Few? That's another 100 =p You think its that worth it though? If i do this build, then as future proof as possible is nice. But I don't want to totally trash my bank. Figured id have all the parts by july, buying every other week or so.

Few? That's another 100 =p You think its that worth it though? If i do this build, then as future proof as possible is nice. But I don't want to totally trash my bank. Figured id have all the parts by july, buying every other week or so.

Yes its well worth it! Do you have a microcenter near you? If so you can get it there for $279.00 Its well worth the extra. The future proof on a 4790k is atleast 5 years if not more

Doesn't look like it, KC I think is the closest one which would be a 3 hour drive down... ><'

What about any of the admins? IF any of them live by one they could pick it up for you and ship it USPS priority for 15.00. Ask around. The i7 HT is well worth the extra $$ and alot of games utilize the extra cores. I know BF4 and Hardline use it I have seen all my cores being utilized while gaming. Plus if you ever get into streaming or recording your game play, you would kick your self in the ass for not getting a i7

For a few dollars more I would go for the i7 4790k. The HT will always come in handy.
Especially so with Win 10 coming out. Look at some of the projections for hyperthreading in games with DX12 and you'll see what I mean. Before it didn't matter for gaming but with DX12 which only comes with Win10, it will make a substantial difference.

dx12_performance_simulated_cpus_updated-100575301-orig.png

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

Also, if you have a Microcenter near you the 4790k is $259

CPU aside, the GPU came down in price from what it was a few days back. It would also work in my current build... Should I snag that and throw it into my current build for the time being? or should I grab it and just wait for the new build (again to have it all put together by July)?

I don't see the 970 getting much cheaper at this point. Already a fantastic bargain.

Like everyone else has said go for the I7 4790k. You will notice a difference in performance v an I5 especially if you do any kind of multitasking. That's a nice price for the 970 and I would jump on it. Besides the I5 only other issue I see is the AIO cooler. If you're going to pick one up go with a Corsair H100i+. The mobo is nice I guess, I'm an Asus fan when it comes to mobos, so I would only suggest looking into them, but I'm not sure what kind of features/cost you're looking for. Just don't go cheap on your mobo.

I know Corsair makes some nice coolers, but if I grab that case, I know the cooler will fit for sure. That said, ive read some good things about that particular cooler as well. Is there something about it you dont like or just prefer the Corsair?

I like ASUS boards as well but again, ive heard great things about this board and thought, why not do something different. Im not looking to cheap out, but not really wanting to drop 200$ on it either.

Nothing is wrong with either choice honestly. I just prefer to stick with certain brands/products I can feel 100% confident that they will work right out of the box, and if not they have proven themselves to be top notch with honoring warranties. Not to say you won't get a DOA board from ASUS, just it's less likely and I've never had issues with them.

Back