The "No fighting commander" rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerMcDeath

Yeah, I see the other thread, but bear with me.

I was just playing on your Highway Tampa server, and I was commanding, on the titan. I died cause come dude crashed a plane into me, and when looking to respawn, I noticed we had no one at one of the flags.

So I spawned there, hopped in a vehicle, and sat there commanding, ready to kill anyone who came by in a transport.

I wasn't "fighting", I wasn't roaming around doing nothing but dropping supply crates for my walker. I was commanding.

Admin tells me I have to be on titan. I pointed out that the rule is "no fighting", and that I am clearly not in any way breaking the spirit of the rule, which, I'm sure anyone will agree, is intended to stop commanders from hogging the commander position simply so they can spot enemies near them or whatever. It's to keep the commander as a team asset, which is how I was behaving.

So I get kicked.

I literally hadn't spent more than 20 seconds outside of the commander screen the entire game, but I got kicked because some dude feels the need to exert authority for no logical reason.

You should trust your admins enough to vest in them the ability to make decisions with some discretion. To set up a rule that is being followed simply because one interpretation of it was being violated (obviously it can be interpreted differently) is both silly and shows that you do not trust your admins enough to let them make nuanced decisions about abuse of the commander position.

Treat your admins, and the people who play on your server, as adults.

When was this and do you know the admin that kicked you? Was there a warning issued? Your point about a stationary commander is valid and perhaps we need to clarify the point.

For future posts, please leave the attitude on the last paragraph off; we have a lot of admins and the rule does leave two interpretations open that we need to address.

[quote1250555771=GunnerMcDeath]

So I spawned there, hopped in a vehicle, and sat there commanding, ready to kill anyone who came by in a transport.

I wasn't "fighting", I wasn't roaming around doing nothing but dropping supply crates for my walker. I was commanding.

Admin tells me I have to be on titan. I pointed out that the rule is "no fighting", and that I am clearly not in any way breaking the spirit of the rule, which, I'm sure anyone will agree, is intended to stop commanders from hogging the commander position simply so they can spot enemies near them or whatever. It's to keep the commander as a team asset, which is how I was behaving.

You should trust your admins enough to vest in them the ability to make decisions with some discretion. To set up a rule that is being followed simply because one interpretation of it was being violated (obviously it can be interpreted differently) is both silly and shows that you do not trust your admins enough to let them make nuanced decisions about abuse of the commander position.

Treat your admins, and the people who play on your server, as adults.
[/quote1250555771]

What? you weren't actually killing anyone at that moment. But you were self admitingly ready to. In the field of battle?
Utilizing battle assets so no one else could?
Thats called fighting.

[quote1250561198=Arturo_Fuente]What? you weren't actually killing anyone at that moment. But you were self admitingly ready to. In the field of battle?
Utilizing battle assets so no one else could?
Thats called fighting.
[/quote1250561198]

I wasn't taking up assets because, as I clearly said, there was no one at the flag. If anything, I was freeing up people to continue to be on the front lines, while I sat at a flag, devoid of enemies, ready to forgo a Sat Track for 10 seconds in order to kill one or two random dudes who come in by airship.

It's a simple question: What is the purpose of the rule? What are you trying to achieve?

It seems obvious the rule is in place to stop people from abusing the commander position. I wasn't abusing it, I was in the commander screen the entire game, apart from when I got TKed, and when I ran to the vehicle. A total of about 20-25 seconds over the span of 15 minutes.

To put a complete ban on leaving the titan makes as much sense as kicking people for every TK, regardless of context.

[quote1250561250=ChuckTheHammer]
When was this and do you know the admin that kicked you? Was there a warning issued? Your point about a stationary commander is valid and perhaps we need to clarify the point.

For future posts, please leave the attitude on the last paragraph off; we have a lot of admins and the rule does leave two interpretations open that we need to address.
[/quote1250561250]

It was earlier today, the admin was *something*9000. He told me on voice comms to spawn back at the titan, because "no commander is allowed to be fighting". I explained, calmly, that I wasn't fighting. Hell, I was dropping UAVs and spotting gunships as he was talking to me. He didn't say he was going to kick me for it, he just up and booted me.

Also, I wasn't trying to give attitude, it's just that blanket bans are pretty silly, for all the reasons I listed. Obviously people have to make judgement calls, because the role of an admin shouldn't be to enforce rules for the rules sake, but to foster a nice gaming environment, and rules exist to provide a general framework for how to go about that. It's a task that requires contextual reasoning, not simply if-thens.

what you did may have been ok, but if we said what you did was ok it would make it very very hard for us admins to tell the difference between a commander doing what you were doing and a commander who is not commanding at all. It is hard to tell the difference and it is simply best if the commander stays on the titan so he doesn't have to explain himself and what he is doing, and that he actually is doing his job. if that makes sense, kinda rambling lol

[quote1250561838=Tee.Kay.]
what you did may have been ok, but if we said what you did was ok it would make it very very hard for us admins to tell the difference between a commander doing what you were doing and a commander who is not commanding at all. It is hard to tell the difference and it is simply best if the commander stays on the titan so he doesn't have to explain himself and what he is doing, and that he actually is doing his job. if that makes sense, kinda rambling lol
[/quote1250561838]

Well, I think admins already have to do that when it comes to TKing. I've TKed plenty by accident. Just yesterday on your server, I got the tail of my gunship stuck when repairing on the titan, and it somehow ended up with me crushing three teammates.

Commander abuse is easy enough to spot. Commanders driving around in the middle of the desert, not deploying UAVs, not filling supply drop requests, and so on.

In this case, the admin even talked to me (well, actually, he ordered me, and was completely non-responsive to my explanation). There's no reason this would be adding some kind of undue burden on an admin.

I know admin-ing shouldn't be a full time job, but taking a couple seconds to ask a question, or to watch what a commander is actually doing doesn't seem too much a thing to ask.

You’re statements alone make it hard for an admin to judge what you are doing. That being said maybe a mistake was made but by playing the field and commanding at the same time you’re already skirting the edge. No fighting does not count capping a silo but if your sat track should show the enemy at the silo would you have engaged and killed right? Most likely yes, closing the command screen and now you’re a fighting commander. That kind of blurs the line at times. At a silo, tying up a vehicle and killing instead of commanding. Any admin or player doesn’t always see the entire picture from your point of view and only sees the commander at a silo, in a vehicle and trying to cap while killing the baddies.

I’m not telling you you’re all wrong but my opinion of commanding is staying put and protecting your assets in the yard. Send a command and vocally tell the squad the silo is empty. Hide inside the Titan. I use to play FF on and people would stat pad wounding, healing and killing the commander. Out of site out of mind I say. Stand under the ground turrets or inside the Titan on lower decks. Don’t even bother repairing the guns, that’s someone else’s job. You don’t get points for repair as commander. There’s always enough points hounds to do the job.

Cheers

SgtDeadred

I wasn't capping the flag, it was ours, and there was no one at it, defending. My goal was just to, if a lone transport or jeep came by, to kill it, yeah.

Commanding doesn't require 100% complete dedication. I command often, I'm pretty adept at it. You launch your UAVs, you spot the gunships for your pilots, you sport for people when someone is solo-capping a flag. Taking a few seconds to leave the commander screen and kill an infantry or vehicle is objectively a greater help to the team than telling squad leaders 500 meters from the flag about it.

I think this might be the only time I've ever been kicked from a 2142 game, and I just find it to be a very silly reason to do so. If it's going to get me kicked, I'll let the commander spot sit empty the entire game (which is precisely what it was doing the round previous).

you got kicked move on. Either you fail to understand that there is a possibility that an admin saw differently or you simply dont care about what it look like to an admin. Its just all about you apparently
We go by what we see. And we dont sit there all day long watching people. We play too.

The thread is now becoming a little redundant and you are turning the thread into a fuss so it will be locked.

If you go into the battlefield you are at risk of being kicked, understand that and that there is nothing personal about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back