sli gpu cooler info needed

Gilup

I'm looking for a aftermarket air cooler that will work with my sli 8800 gtx cards. I would like some feed back of products that might work out.

That is a nice one. Crap I just thought of something, looks like all the aftermarket coolers will vent 100% heat into my case. Stock ones will @ least vent 20% out the back. I wonder if the stock fan can be replaced with a faster one?? Anyone have done this before?

I have, and it raises the MB temp by a few degrees, but as long as your case is well ventilated it won't matter. I like the Zalman because it's so easy to assemble, no tools required other than to remove the stock cooler.

The 8800 GTX puts out a LOT of heat, compared to the 8800 GT... the core is much larger (in nm tech and size) I think, so be careful with what you do with the stock cooler. It's pretty good really - and most if not all of aftermarket coolers do vent into the case... you can look at PCI slot coolers which can vent the heat that leaks into the case from the 8800 GTX vents. I was pretty annoyed with those little stripes that leak heat back into the case on the 8800 GTX when I had one so I got a PCI "Slot Cooler" and I've been using it since. It improves temps a bit around the case. Make sure to get an adjustable one because they can be loud as hell.

Looky here (both links):
http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=624
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/gf8800-vga-coolers_9.html#sect1

Honestly, I don't see why you'd want to replace the stock cooler, unless you want something like state-of-the-art air cooling which also takes up a lot of space... the stock is good imo.

P.S. Also, keep in mind that even if you install the most badass cooler, if your case (ambient) temperature is high, things will not improve much, if at all.

Heat,
2 reason I was thinking of replacing the cooler. 1st was that I live in the south and it get's hot even with a/c. I am on a budget now since the economy took a nose dive and don't want to run the a/c really low this year . I was hoping to add a gpu cooler to help with heat issues in the summer time. 2nd is I have a 80 mm fan that blows 84 CFM and it's loud. I tried a quite one and lower CFM but doesn't do as good of a job. I didn't realize though that the aftermarket coolers will push heat into the case. I do have a 80 mm exhaust port fan that works pretty good. I just have a older case. I think it's time to upgrade or maybe add another vent fan to it.

Thanks to all for the feed back

If you live in the South, water cooling might be a better bet. It's more expensive to get started, but would do better than any air cooled fan. I used to live in S. Florida, and I know what you mean about the temperatures. You could have your own sauna anywhere you're running a gaming computer! Even with aftermarket air coolers, it will still be better than the stock fans. The temps I reported earlier were from when I had that Zalman in S. Florida. We didn't run the a.c. low either usually 80f during the day and 78f in the evenings.

Water cooling would be nice for low temps and quiet. When I lived up north I had my computer in a basement. I never worried about heat issues. Thanks sixer I'll look into that cooler you mention.

Back