Ray Tracing

JWR046

Anyone else have the setup to try it? I go my stuff updated and bought a RTX 2080 which overclocked pretty high. Card runs great. Nice and cool. Running a 27" dell S2716DG with g-sync enabled (2560 X1440). BF5 running on ultimate settings getting a good 120 FPS. They stat that ray tracing is about a 40% ... get 85 FPS then will drop to 55-60. Did not want to drop $1200 on a TI card but if you are going to run it will probably need one. The visual clarity is pretty amazing but after I was lagging a bit I turned it off. I will probably mess with it and adjust the video settings and see what a can get for FPS.

Also I have an overclocked I7-8700k @4.8 GHZ and let me tell you BF5 will run all processor threads at 90%. No issue just uses as much CPU as you can throw @ it apparently.

J

Congratulations on your new hardware! Have fun and keep us posted.

Nope. For over 1k they can kiss my ass and like it ;) I'm still running my 1080 TI and getting the same frame rates as the 2080 on a 2k monitor. Honestly, I think the whole ray tracing thing was just a way to stuff their pockets (Nvidia) while they were in between GPU designs. If you are having fun wit it, I'm happy for you. I was just disappointed that Nvidia charged so much for mostly 1 aspect change from the last cards they put out.

I think it has a lot of potential, but I'm just not willing to pay to help them refine it.

I thought I read somewhere that after the 1st of the year they are going to release a patch that would be towards Ray Tracing..

I was running a gtx980 and wanted to update. I think ray tracing tech will catch on. The 1080ti is about the same as the 2080. Agreed the price jump is bullshit and part gimmick. The video detail is pretty sweet and noticeable.

I am currently starting a new build and I am gonna go with the RTX 2070 with a 2700x cpu...I'm curious to see if Ray Trace will take off as well..

I am currently starting a new build and I am gonna go with the RTX 2070 with a 2700x cpu...I'm curious to see if Ray Trace will take off as well..

100% guarantee it will be used the hell out of. On Quadro GPU's. 0% chance they will ever abandon it. But you have to do something to pad the bottom rung and keep costs down on the top end. Hello GeForce.

I was running a gtx980 and wanted to update. I think ray tracing tech will catch on. The 1080ti is about the same as the 2080. Agreed the price jump is bullshit and part gimmick. The video detail is pretty sweet and noticeable.

Yep, makes total sense from a 980. Just not enough to go from a 1080 to a 2080 let alone a 2080 TI.

@JWR046 heeeyy, we're monitor buddies! yay! (mine is paired with r7 1700x + gtx1080) :)
47181409_578148515944899_353680979048529920_n.jpg

So what do you think of the monitor? So far I really like it . A 1080 will drive it easy.

So what do you think of the monitor? So far I really like it . A 1080 will drive it easy.

Other than the price tag, I haven't found a reason to complain - I've had it for 2 years this month. I guess that's a good thing - no reason to complain :)

The USB ports clean up the desk very nicely, too. Wish I had two of em.

Back