Rain's Project 5Ghz or Bust Build Log

I just found a nice way to utilize the space above my two "external" 3.5 inch bays.

OCZACSSDBRKT2.jpg

That OCZ bracket is thin enough to fit and hold an extra 2.5 inch laptop drive in the case. Making its capacity a total of 6 drives not including the 5.25 and external 3.5 slots that are all gonna be filled by other stuff.

I am ordering some fans and stuff this evening will start on the Case modding pretty soon and have pictures up. I am still trying to decide if I want to light the inside of the case white to show off the hard ware or contradict all the red sata cables and red tooless clamps with blue lol.

I just found a nice way to utilize the space above my two "external" 3.5 inch bays.

OCZACSSDBRKT2.jpg

That OCZ bracket is thin enough to fit and hold an extra 2.5 inch laptop drive in the case. Making its capacity a total of 6 drives not including the 5.25 and external 3.5 slots that are all gonna be filled by other stuff.

I am ordering some fans and stuff this evening will start on the Case modding pretty soon and have pictures up. I am still trying to decide if I want to light the inside of the case white to show off the hard ware or contradict all the red sata cables and red tooless clamps with blue lol.

If you need one I have 2 of them in my collection.
Also, I use 2 of these: http://www.a-power.com/product-10374-0-1

Last edited:
Balls yeah if you have one of the OCZ's to spare lets talk, theyre getting harder to get but they can still be had. The one's you mentioned wont fit what I am doing as I am cramming the drive in a very short space above the external 3.5 inch bays. I went looking for the slimmest 2.5 inch bracket available and the OCZ seemed to be the only result.

Once the machine is built and I buy my monitor after thay I will probably be buying a Drive a month and I intend to use all 3.5 inch internal bays so it was a delight that I had the space for an extra 2.5 inch.

Nice edit reason btw.

Alright well minus a little SNAFU on my 140mm my initial order of case fan's and other little bits has arrived. Would have had these sooner but my mail was on hold.

DSC_0662.jpg

Top right is the thermaltake order: One Xray drink holder for the lolz and a 230mm Blue LED top fan to replace the stock one in the case.

Top Left and into the middle FrozenCPU Order: Grommets for the motherboard tray (im putting holes in), 120mm gasket, and the 120mm Silverstone grill being used for my side panel fan.

Bottom Koolertek Order: 2 120MM Medium speed Yate Loons 1 140MM Medium Speed Yate Loon, screws, 120mm and 140mm gasket, bunch of anti static bags need some, and some slot covers thought might look nice.

Koolertek accidentally sent me the D14SM-12 instead of the D14SM-124B which is going to be my front fan and match the top fan. They have totally hooked me up in fixing the situation and was above and beyond what I expected on an item that isn't even worth the cost of shipping it. Best of all they didn't seem to want the fan back so If i don't find a use for it one of ya'll can have it. If you need Yate Loon's they pretty much have them in all speed's sizes and colors little bit cheaper than most places and damn well packed to boot. I didn't tell ya Thermaltake shoved my fan and xray side by side in a box with no protection in it..... Thermaltake never had the best rep for packing they sent alot of broken cases to reviewers.

Once the bracket from Balls gets here (for all i know its here already) I will start work on the cooling mods probably be finished next week I have to get some bits for the mobo tray. Still a few more things to order for the case.

Alright for the initial round of fans and case modding

Blue 230 installed, Blue 140 front installed, Side panel 120 installed and you cant see it but the back 120 replaced with a 1600 RPM yate loon cause its soooo quiet!
CM1-1.jpg

First pic you can see the original 120. I cut out the baffle since a filter covers it anyways and installed the 140mm Yate Loon. Sans baffle even blowing full speed against the HDD cage it is quiet.
CM1-2.jpg

I cut out a hole in the side panel and installed a 120mm Yate Loon and a Silverstone Grill with filter. To the right the top fan seems to light up the case a bit, makes me think again about how im gonna light the inside.
CM1-3.jpg

Top fan from the inside and you can see the back fan replacement. Also note the removal of all the tooless crap since its not useful.
CM1-4.jpg

CPU Cooler and Fan Controller arrived today so I took some pics.

Being one of the smaller and lighter coolers out there the damn thing sure is big.

The NZXT Sentry Mesh

The case with the Sentry installed along with my cup holder and cigarette lighter lol.

Looking good man, looks like bob is gonna be sticking to his slaves now with no computer.

professional photography

Piece of portrait paper held up against the wall by the weight of the object on it. Hotshoe mounted flash bounced off the ceiling. Overexpose just enough to blow out as much white surface as you can and bring the color back to the object by adjusting the levels.

Having this for a shooter doesn't hurt either:

4 MORE WEEKS!!!.... and ill be able to boot windows and play counter strike or something... BF2? lol

My last update before I have an actual machine. Took shots of the case to entertain myself until then.

The USB/Firewire and cmosreset mod didn't turn out as great as I wanted it its functional. I was going to do them side by side but didnt have enough room. The PCI brackets edge slides into the vent slot i cut further open. The cmos switch is actually screwed into the pci bracket it came with cut down and put on the back side.

The shots also let u see the sleeving done.

Excuse the quality of the shots. So much crap in the floor I couldnt get the camera setup far enough back to move the case away from the wall. Caused the lack of lighting behind the case and the generally top heavy lighting on the case. Tried using a reflector to bounce the flash better. Editing sucked balls too it was my first time with CS 5.1 and my first time in years using PS, been a PSP user for sometime now.

Update to the log:
5ghz is definitely a bust without another chip or some extreme cooling. New title maybe.... "Project i didnt want a mediocreclocker".

Anyways unboxing pics:

Assembly pics:

why not build a cool-room just for your case? shouldn't cost that much...

Why not just do you just do liquid cooling? Even the liquid cooler in a box like the Antec Kulhers or Corsair one's would do the job.

Yeah, and the H20 is $59 at Amazon. BTW that cigarette lighter's a cool feature of your case :grosfou:

Why not just do you just do liquid cooling? Even the liquid cooler in a box like the Antec Kulhers or Corsair one's would do the job.

Would get me 4.6 maybe 4.7 based on the 5ghz guys I have been talking to based on what we have seen out of this chip. I am upgrading to ivy bridge next year and selling this board and cpu. Will just take another shot at what is mainly just a number. When I finally broke down and asked for help. The kind of people helping me run 5Ghz daily and have pushed way past on suicide runs.

For air cooling I would of thought the Noctua NH-D14...

Air cooling isnt as effective with you cant close the side of the case because of your heatsink. I was offered that Noctua for free btw.
Research included Below:

P1000650_585_438_90.jpg

Yeah, and the H20 is $59 at Amazon. BTW that cigarette lighter's a cool feature of your case :grosfou:

Thanks lol yeah its my use 100 watts instantly button.

But yeah I am happy where I am for the moment it could have been better and there was always a possibility of failure. But since I am selling this I dont feel like pushing the voltage past 1.4.

Seems like the OC is effective for cpu renders haha:
Cinebench11.png

Back