Question with power supply

Felix58

ok
so
huge storm in georgia and i think* that my comp got zapped but i checked all the copasators aand none were popped
When i hit the power button it turns on then right off again lights up everything..
if i plug a usb into the motherboard (like thum drive) It lights up and everything but the computer still wont even boot..
So i am thinking its the power suply has anyone ever seen anything like this
i dont want to take it in spend money if its just the PS

anyway any help at all would be great im willing to preform sexual acts if it works. i love my alienware i'll be so pissed if its fked up

i know its a long post but again any help would be great... anything anything at all

Few questions:

1. Was your computer on during the storm?
2. Do you have a backup power source - UPS?

My money is on the power supply.

I would say its more than likely the PSU, but that doesn't mean it is. The psu is the easiest thing to test. If you have another computer take out the psu and put a different one in. If it still doesn't work it could be the Ram, mobo, or CPU.

Where do you live? If you are near a Micro Center they sell a PSU tester for about $12.00. I had similar problems before and it was a PSU each time. One word about testing on another computer: I tested my older core 2 6750 system PSU on a very old Athlon 64 3200 system and it worked on the Athlon system but when tested failed and was replaced by Antec

PSU testers can lie : / I tested 2 PSUs with one and it said they were good (correct voltage) but when tested with a system they failed. So testing with a system is the best way to tell if the psu is good.

was it on no
and no ups

lol of course everyone around me has laptops meh i'll some up with something
there was a little led light on the mobo i remmeber but dont see it on anymore.. maybe it was on when comp is running

anyone have any advice on powersuplys and whats good if i replace?

I'd highly recommend Corsair PSUs. I think the best wattage/$ ratio was their 850W when I looked a couple of weeks ago, but depending on your components, you might not need as much. Personally, I use their 620W one, and it's amazingly quiet and has worked 24/7 for the last 3 years (knock on wood) with no issues whatsoever.

I agree, Corsair is a good choice. I prefer the PC Power & Cooling, but the Corsair line has been really strong and very reliable, and quiet as mentioned above. I have a Corsair in my PC now and I never hear the thing.

I would say it's the PS as well. I currently run a PC Power & Cooling in my rig. Corsair makes an excellent product as well. Stay away from Antec. I build a dozen or so computers a year for friends and family. I used to swear by them (Antec's), but in the last 2 years I have had 5 out of 12 just stop working.

On another note, PS testers are known to be wrong because most cheaper ones tend to look for voltage only. I have seen many power supplies show 12v and 5.5v, but when a load is applied they trip. I also highly recommend a PSU to help protect your rig...Good Luck..Bob

Back