QUESTION: Gaming on a tv?

Krazy_fanboy

So Im building a computer for a coworker and with his budget I can only get him a gtx 960, now he wants to get a 40-50in tv to game on. What are some requirements or recommendations to game on tvs or is he just out of his mind?

Also will the gtx960 be alright handling a 40-50in tv? Will it be ok with 2gb ram or should I look at the 4gb versions? Budget for gpu is around the $200 mark so these are some I have considered.

EVGA Gigabyte Asus strix

PC specs:
i5 3570k
Asus sabertooth p67
cooler master 212 evo
WD 1tb
Kingston hyperx 120gb ssd
corsair veng lp 8gb ram
evga gs 550w
corsair 200r
Win7

You should have no issues gaming on a your TV as I did it with a single GTX 760 on my 70". The only issue you'll run into is the cursor. I had issues where it felt like I was having to move my mouse across a wide area on the pad just to get the cursor to move a bit on the screen and then when I upped the DPI it felt like too much. Maybe I did it wrong, but that was my experience.

You're not going to be setting any records, but what you've got there will get the job done. A 4GB card will be wasted without a lot more power elsewhere in the system.

On a TV the dpi is a lot lower than a monitor. That means you have to sit further away to see decently; it's worth bumping up the text size in Windows to compensate. 99% of programs work fine with 125% text size; a few websites might look a little odd but nothing too far from reasonable.

Hdmi cable is a must! Most flat screen TV have a "gaming mode" option somewhere in the settings.

Besides possible input lag, using a 20inch 1080p screen is no more demanding than a 70inch. It's all about the resolution. To each their own, but I wouldn't enjoy it myself.

Everyone I have talked to have good points about this and I will bring them all up to my coworker. Ultimately its his money and if he wants to go with a 50in tv then at least I have done my job and told him all the issues that come with it. Thanks everyone, just a few more parts to order then its time for assembly and testing.

I game on a 40in in 1080p. Works great and looks good. THinking of stepping up to 2k tho for my upcoming build

I game on a 40in in 1080p. Works great and looks good. THinking of stepping up to 2k tho for my upcoming build
No shit?! I've heard of doing a 32" so I guess a 40" isn't that much of a difference. When I tried on my 70" I felt like I was swimming with my mouse arm to move around. How'd you overcome that without having the sensitivity set too high?

3200 dpi and a massive roccat mouse pad lol, then you don't notice how far u go

Once in a while I'll hook up my Tower to my TV for controller games. I do want a Steam Link when they come out.

Assassins Creed, batman, Shadow of Mordor. Even the action platformers

Flown by iRaven using Tapatalk.

The most important thing when gaming with a TV is that you need to forget it's a TV.

I had great fun on my 50" Sony BRAVIA, it was better in every aspect (more fps, much more colours, cooler laptop) , and I was running it off a gtx570.

and yes, HDMI cable is a MUST. without that you feel like you're back in the 90s. With it you don't notice much difference, there really isn't a lack of pixels if you get a good tv.

Been gaming on a 40" Sharp Aquos with a 580gtx for over 6 years.

Its pretty lovely.

You should have no issues gaming on a your TV as I did it with a single GTX 760 on my 70". The only issue you'll run into is the cursor. I had issues where it felt like I was having to move my mouse across a wide area on the pad just to get the cursor to move a bit on the screen and then when I upped the DPI it felt like too much. Maybe I did it wrong, but that was my experience.
Seems playing on tv does not have good refresh rate.

Back