Putting a gaming laptop into a picture frame. (Assembled & Running)

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
So I can't force myself to throw away my old gaming laptop. I mean it still works. So why not an emulator box with wireless controllers and hang it on the wall?

Step 1 Pillage:
DSC_4620.jpg

DSC_4623.jpg

Cut a 2x2 sheet of MDF down to fit an 11x17 walmart frame and mock up:
DSC_4625.jpg

DSC_4627.jpg

Rough cut an enclosure and mockup parts:
22396844_1463970627012032_2145660977_o.jpg

DSC_4629.jpg

So far I am in this $20. Glass pops in the front. Will cut the original black cardboard down to be a bezel. Needs some paint. Tomorrow will put in stands and start screwing the hardware in:
DSC_4631.jpg

Funny story. I already had this exact model screen sitting on a shelf. I liked its mounts better but now I also know I have a backup screen.

That's awesome, cool way to recycle an old laptop.
Thanks. I've been fairly fortunate recently plus the generosity of people like you. I now have too many working computers. I got that work station laptop. The free laptop I got from my father and fixed got passed down to Liz. My other ASUS is now in the living room for the kid. I salvaged the Compaq that was there for parts. That left me with still having 2 more laptops.

Almost done tonight. This is going to end up a rushed 3 day build.

Test fitting the lid you can clearly see where a piece of wood got crooked while gluing. Most of my rush issues are going out with the sanding block but that wont be one of them:
DSC_4633.jpg

With the right tools and a little bit of time I could fill that area in between the VGA and the ethernet. But I am not going to bother for now.

Throw some paint on it:
DSC_4636.jpg

DSC_4637.jpg

Mount the screen:
DSC_4638.jpg

So for the visible area we still need to cut a bezel out of the originally supplied cardboard. I have included the camera because its actually part of the inverter harness. But I am not running it for now because I broke a wire in the harness and it will be a bitch to repair.

Need to mount the board, power switch, do thermal paste and put the cooler back in and test it.

Alright she is almost done and having me regret not taking my time.

Guts inserted:
DSC_4639.jpg

DSC_4646.jpg

Wall test:
DSC_4643.jpg

If I do this again 12x18 will be chosen over 11x17. I will fix the bezel later. Clean the LCD and the glass. There are some things that can't be easily fixed in this build. The power button board is really close to where the hanger is and I have to find a way to protect it. It honestly couldn't go anywhere else and was to complicated to solder a couple of leads and relocate. Really wish the power cord could have come out somewhere else, etc.

The good news is that in a week or so it will get more use than it has seen in years.

Back