Purchasing a Shotgun. Choices choices...

amazon3d

So I've done a little looking and have my eye on a Remington Model 11, Serial # is in the 40k range. So It is a rather old gun. It is in pretty good condition from what I could see, it is a sportsman from what I remember. The local shop has it for $350 but he said he could sell it to me for $325.

The other one I was looking at was a Remington 870 Express Magnum Realtree. It has a lot newer look to it and is new. I found a shot of one on the webs. It runs about $350 at walmart.
I don't think it will last as long as the M11 but it is a newer gun and can handle the larger loads and steel shot without buying extra parts.
7158.jpg

Have had my 1100 for many years now. Other than the 870 being a pump and the ease of changing barrels on the 870 I would go with the 11. Whats the primary purpose? Most of the 870's I've seen advertised are typical Turkey set ups.

The 870 is a great choice. Lots of upgrades and parts available. I used a 870 with a riot control barrel and a combat stock for CQB when I was in the Navy. Just a few mods and that 870 will be a great!!!

I've had an 870 Express for a long time. 23 years. The action got sloppy as shit after 2 years but I'm used to it so w/e. It's been a good bird gun. I probably would not get another in that price range though. It won't shoot a 3 1/2" mag. You can get a Express Super Mag but it's more money.
Last year I bought a Benelli Nova and that fucker is nice. I like it better than the 870 for sure. It was only about $50 more than the 870.
I don't shoot any lead shot anymore so I like the 3 1/2" Mags. Boom head shot almost every time. I've had a couple 66 out of 75's at the walk through range.
What ever you get take it out and shoot at some paper targets and find a load that works for your set up. Some loads I have used don't work with some chokes.
If you are gonna be deer hunting with it I've never shot slugs so maybe check some reviews.

This is the super mag btw. Forgot about that. I want it for deer and targeting. I don't know that I will use it much for deer though.

Actually I'm not sure if it is the super or not, I will find out tomorrow.

Still not sure what type of shotgun you are looking for.

Hunting deer with a shotgun sucks, imo. We have slug laws here in Mass so rifles are out. I go .50 black powder now - plus I like the smoke and fire of it, and people can hear you for miles.

As far as getting an economic "regular" shotgun.

My choice Browning BPS. BPS vs. 870 has been argued forever. I personally like the bottom ejector on the BPS, and its a little heavier than the 870. Both cost the same

browning%20bps%20hunter.jpg

A BPS can be had for around $350? I would like to know where then.
I'm not looking for synthetic, if I could get real wood like the Model 11 I would love that, but thats a rare find it seems anymore.

Retail is $499 - so I would think $400 would be pretty doable. Its mass produced so easy to find.

I'd go with a Mossberg 500. Its a pump action that is a lot of fun to shoot, and you can get one in practically any configuration you want, and you can customize it to make it fit what ever role you need it for, and it falls within your price range.

http://www.proguns.com/mossberg-500pumpaction.asp

or do a quick google search under "shopping"

870 w/ rifled barrel...lights out like; Like Fasty in BC2; I have had that gun since I was 16; but, then again it's the only thing I've ever used.

I'd go with a Mossberg 500. Its a pump action that is a lot of fun to shoot, and you can get one in practically any configuration you want, and you can customize it to make it fit what ever role you need it for, and it falls within your price range.

http://www.proguns.com/mossberg-500pumpaction.asp

or do a quick google search under "shopping"

Biggest piece of shit ever for hunting.
1. Aluminum magazine- Bent mine first time out.
2. Plastic safety- broke it maybe third time out in the boat.
For hunting I want a gun I can treat like a tool that has a use and not like something that hangs on a wall for looks.

Plus if you are using it mostly for deer you will probably want a rifled barrel with no choke.

nice choice in my opinion that will be my first shotty when i get enough spending cash lol..
but yea i rather have anice rifle before that.

nice choice in my opinion that will be my first shotty when i get enough spending cash lol..
but yea i rather have anice rifle before that.

Which one were you talking about DP?
I got my shotgun on hold for right now, I need to get some other things paid for first (teeth mainly). Gonna see how things look in a week or so.

Which one were you talking about DP?
I got my shotgun on hold for right now, I need to get some other things paid for first (teeth mainly). Gonna see how things look in a week or so.

the remington 1100.. is that the one you got on hold?

Back