Proof that Micro Center has everything (even if they can't find it).

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
I was looking for a specialty item that most desktop builders haven't heard of and many laptop enthusiasts might not know they want. Normally I would tell someone they would have to order it, but no Micro Center has it! Its a hard drive adapter that fits into the optical bay of a laptop. But try explaining that to the guy trying to find it.

After walking 3 miles from my broken down vehicle I searched the store for the Silverstone TS08. The computer wouldn't tell me its location so I consulted a sales person. He looked confused and tried to point me to a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter. He got someone else who told me if we had such a thing it would be over in "this" area. I told him I already looked and that it had no location. He looked it up in the computer and sure enough no location. His response was priceless. 'Its one of THOSE items". He eventually found it as I searched myself.

Anyways the idea is you swap the optical drive plate from your laptop. This is a 9mm caddy and the only drive I had as an example is 12.5mm so I couldn't actually fit the plate:
DSC_2319.jpg

Installed in the laptop:
DSC_2320.jpg

So it would be a matter of finding the plate that fits this chassis since it didn't come with a drive. Thats okay because I am cutting this up to do something else with it anyways.

Yea MicroCenter is the shit lol. I generally get my new build parts from there.

I seen one last week in a facility in NC; I'm glad you started this thread; it would be nice to add another HDD to your laptop.

Its funny, someone directed you to drive size adapters :)
I can do this with my laptop as well, but I'm hoping that my 2 hdd's will last me for now.

I had no idea that was a thing, more proff why Microcenter is a PC Builder's Mecca! I sometimes go when I don't need anything.

Back