Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler-wow!

sixer9682

I just installed this bad boy to replace the Scythe Mungen 2 and I can't believe how well this bastard cools. I'm using the same single fan and it dropped the cpu temp at idle from 38C to 24C and load from 50C to 36C. It has a smaller footprint so I can do a push/pull combo if I like and it is by far the easiest cpu cooler I've ever installed outside of the stock push pins.

I live in Atlanta, and with the A/C on 78f in the summer, getting the cpu temp to 24C is no small feat, especially with a single cpu fan.
If you're looking for a good cooler for a quad core, this thing does the job.

Yeah... it kinda lives up to its name :-D

Expensive bastard though... last time I checked.

But it's probably the best CPU Air cooler right now (if you're into the big cubic ones).

It's not too bad. I got it for $60.00 from[link=hyperlink url] http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/[/link] In comparison the Noctua and the Coolermaster V8, both at $70.00 it's a good deal. It' cools better also and it took 15 min. to install this, including removing the Mungen2.

For 60 bones and that type of cooling it's way better than the V8, which I bought a couple weeks ago...thanks sixer...now I'm pissed with my fucking cheap ass cooler...lol

lol... should've looked at reviews / prices.

They had a huge roundup of air coolers at some site (like 15+ or something)... can't remember which... but yeah... the omgzubermegaprolimatechnologicalubercoolness giga-mega-peta-nehamehapehalemspetems came out on top of most, even with quieter (slower) fan settings... I'm not sure but I think they even tested it fanless!! which is a pretty interesting idea if you have good case circulation.

Balls.

You want to hear something even worse, I bought this thing after reading an early review, but never installed it because I was fucking around with other system parts and didn't want to wast more time installing shit. I gave it to chuck when he was building his new system. Then I read all of these great reviews and the Summer heat hits and then I was thinking fuck, I really want to get that again which is what I did. It's sitting right now at 26C idle and 39C load OC to 3.6 ghz at 1.32v. It's a bastard of a cooler and I couldn't be happier. There was no way I was going to fuck around with OC with the Mungen2 during the summer, but this fucker doesn't care at all. I love this damn thing!

question - how do you check your cpu temp? I can check my graphics cards temp. With both cards overclocked they are running at a temp of 50C.

I've used Speedfan before, but now I mostly use EVGA's Eleet program since I have an EVGA board. It's never varied from speedfan or anything else I've seen so I trust it for my temps.

Hardware Monitor kinda sucks balls imo.

Coretemp is like for a more "temporary" check of a temperature,

whereas speedFan is more designed to run all the time in the tray and has more advanced functions to set your fan speeds (ergo, speedfan) based on temperatures and stuff.

Just so you can see the difference in coolers.

Scythe Mungen2

DSCF0255.jpg

Prolimatech Megahalems

Megahalems.jpg

I was screwing around with the voltage, since I hardly did any overclocking with this MB/CPU due to cpu temperature climbing with the few attempts I did with the Mungen2 in place. Anyway, I got it at 3.8ghz 1600mhz for the RAM- Multiplier Settings 18X200 1.285V. Temps stayed at 24-25C idle and 38C under load.

I love this cooler. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure I could break 4ghz easily with this cpu and cooler. 047

3.8 is easy with most 920's... or so I've read.

4ghz should be more appropriate :-D

Yeah, but it seems glorious to me because I would never try it with the shitty temps I got with the Mungen. I did 3.6 before and the idle temp was 56C-no way was I going to try 3.8 with that.

I have an Opteron 170 and I've been running it overclocked to 2.8 (stock 2.0) for the last 2 years at 60C (at 100% load on both cores which is also 24/7 because I run Boinc projects - seti@home and shit)...

Still runs like a charm and no errors, ever.

Edit: Nevermind 56 at IDLE is disturbing...

Back