PC Randomly Restarting

Well fuck I'm at a loss. The PC repair guy called me, said he has NO idea, other than that 12v rail performing at the lower end of its acceptable range. He ran Prime95 and something else (edit: JRT from Malwarebytes?) for testing the PC and it ran no problems. He said his PC and his wife's would do the same thing because of a very slightly faulty PSU but only when he brought up something high resolution on a 2nd monitor, like a stream. I always use my flatscreen as a 2nd monitor for watching Twitch streams, but I can't say for sure that the PC ONLY shuts off when watching twitch. My only other guess would be that the actual power cable from wall to PSU is faulty, which I'll change that out. He told me to come pick it up b/c theres nothing else he can do.

Motherboard problems possibly??? He said theres no way he can test that short putting in a new mobo with all my old components and letting that run, which (I assume, he didn't say) cant or wont do.

Last edited:
Hmmm, weird indeed. I'll try to help with the knowledge of my old desktop repair days. I can tell you though that the Kernel-Power Event 41 is "usually" related to some sort of hardware failure.

First, can you double-click the Critical event in your Event Viewer and show the content or use the Copy button and paste it at pastebin.com? Give me the pastebin link, pretty please.

Also in the Event Viewer, on the left go to the System Events under Windows Logs and look for errors and/or Critical Events. Pastebin those as well.

Other things:

1. Open the case and look for bulged or popped (oozing) capacitors on the motherboard, especially around the CPU. (This almost always causes the issue you explain)
2. Apparently this is a know issue with Windows 7 64-bit and the Radeon Catalyst software. If this applies to you, update your Radeon drivers. Maybe even try the Beta drivers if needed
3. Your PC tech could be correct about the PSU. Most modern PSU's have fluctuating power however the more hard drives, DVD drives, etc you have, the more power you draw. It may not be the voltage causing the issue, it could be a wattage drop as well.
4. Have you installed any Windows Updates lately? Are they set to automatically install? If so, you can dig into those as well. This is a pain in the ass though.
5. Power settings. In control panel > Power Options - set it to High Performance or Always On mode. Put the computer to sleep = Never, disable the hard drives going to sleep, etc. I still recommend turning your monitors off after a set amount of time and also using a screensaver if that's your thing. You may have to go t othe power settings advanced properties for some of these.

Feel free to ask me any more questions or bounce anything else off me.

Just in case, here are what bulged / leaking capacitors look like - for reference.....

repairing-switching-power-supply-3.jpg

How abouts do I copy this log? I tried uploading the saved file of it from desktop to here. I also can't figure out how to just copy all the text of this long and paste it in pastebin

EDIT: How about this?
http://pastebin.com/Uauk120H

Last edited:
Sorry, got it now. This paste goes back as far as the first error I can find. This didn't happen prior to January according to the event viewer.
EDIT: oh something I thought was interesting.... I confirmed with the PC repair shop owner several times that according to him, my PC DID NOT crash while it was there. The event viewer shows a kernal critical error for the past 2 days he's had it. i called to ask him and he maintains it never crashed, but that "that may be from where I unplugged it".
This guy has just been yanking the power cord out of the back of my PC to shut it off?????? That doesn't sound right to me.

I mean in the event viewer, click on the actual error... The kernel-power error. A box will open with the details of the error. There is a button that says Copy

Back