Overclocking Q9550

Duke

I'm considering OC my Quad Q9550 from factory 2.83 GHz to around 3.45 GHz. I've watched some videos and may be able to stumble through it. I have a good cooler which should be able to keep the temps down. My FPS in BF3 using FRAPS or PLAYCLAW both show about an average of 35. Do you think OC will help any or would it be a waste of time? I have SLI NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 Video Cards 1GB memory a piece.

Eh--it could get you a couple more frames per second, but you're not going to see a linear increase. Certainly won't go from 35 to 45 fps. You might consider upgrading graphics card(s).

Eh--it could get you a couple more frames per second, but you're not going to see a linear increase. Certainly won't go from 35 to 45 fps. You might consider upgrading graphics card(s).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking myself. I may do it just to gain some experience. I will be looking for another MB and Graphics Cards and CPU in the future.

Duke I have my q9550 OC to 3.2. I've had it to 3.4 before without an issues.

Just make sure you have a good cpu fan on it and you'll be ok.

I think the highest temps I get are upper 40's.

Duke, back in the 2142 days I had my old rig with a Q9550 oc'd at 3.4 with a pair of 260gtxs without any problems at all. I thinks the frames were around 45-50. You shouldn't have any problems overclocking, but I think your video cards need upgrading.

Back