once or twice a month...

xBaltique

ok here's the deal..
i purchased and downloaded 2142 and Northern Strike from the EA download thingamacrap and once or twice a month i have to do all sorts of tedious bollocks just to play 2142 again. it's quite frustrating and has even put me off my nightly wank at times.

so i'm running vista, always keep punkbuster updated, blah blah...

to start i right click and run as admin and that works 75% of the time but every so often the game/vista/core.exe decides to be a complete c**t and i can't launch at all.

this is what i have to do:
1. regedit -> delete PACE anti-piracy from CURRENT_user bollockybollocks
2. reinstall EA downloader
3. reinstall the 1.50 patch
4. do an entire vista system restore to a day i knew the game was working (actually i do that first but i'm too lazy to c&p this to the top of the list. yet curiously, i am not too lazy to type out an explanation of that. christ i am glad it's friday)

god it's a pain the ass that happens with disturbing regularity. does this happen to anyone else?

oh and while i'm on a rant... i can't unlock ANYTHING from Northern Strike even though i flippin' paid for it. i have to get "chad" at the EA support desk to do it for me. i feel like an annoying c**t everytime i'm like "yeah.. can i have the super fast boots or whatever"

now i am REALLY glad it's friday.

i might just do that. i've concluded it's something to do with windows auto update.

Well whatever it is - I can assure you that EA does not fully support the BF2142 downloaded version. I believe the 1.51 patch will fix this and fix security issues - but for now - just buy the disc and install it that way.

profile? you mean how you setup your player?
no - your character is saved. when you re-install the game you will have to setup you settings again. but you wont have to keep doing it over and over and over again...

Install the game.
Recover your original player name by entering that and the password. Done.

Yeah dont bother with NS. I downlaoded NS and its total BS trying to get it to play. Just do what Jeans said and buy the hard copy.

Personally, I prefer not having to use the CD to play the game. Steam FTW :).

Back