Nexus 5 - Realistically my next phone just got announced.

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
I love my Galaxy S2 still but it needs another battery and officially (sprint variant) it will never get off android 4.1.2 though unofficially we have 4.3. I would really like something with decent support for CyanogenMod or software support in general.

No better phone for open source or stock support than a Nexus. But the LG Nexus 4 killed me. I was not only mad that Samsung wasn't making this model, I was mad about the non removable battery, the back glass, the lack of usable LTE, basically the whole damn phone.

As much as I would like a Galaxy Note 3, Enter the LG Nexus 5:
unnamed.jpg

Still has a battery not easily removed and Googles hate for MicroSD is still present. But at $349 outright off contract and the same CPU and GPU as the Galaxy Note 3 and other high end phones there is some forgiveness in my heart.

Screen
The size is bigger than the 4.52" of the Sprint GS2 and on par for the average Android these days. The 1080P IPS display is not only a huge difference in resolution the screen itself is better. As nice as OLED looks the super high res AMOLED displays are bullshit. Using 2 colors per pixel instead of 3, alternating every other producing improper color expecting your eyes and mind to make up the difference. OLED burn in after 2 years on my phone is limited to the status bar area on my phone. But had I ever used it like some people do it would have been MUCH worse.

LTE
The Nexus 4 carried over the LTE chip from its LG counterpart however because it was not FCC certified for operation it wasn't utilized. It only worked on 1 band used by a GSM carrier at launch (AT&T band 4) which had little to no coverage at all. My phone uses WiMax which has gone to shit ever since Sprint switched to LTE. No android 4.3 build works with WiMax either. My next phone had to have LTE and the Nexus 5 fits.

Battery
My phone barely gets 2 hours of screen on time maybe 8 hours of moderate use, maybe 50 hours of no use at all. Up until phones like the Razr MAXX there was almost no such thing as a smart phone whose screen could be left on for hours. Lately there have been a few phones that could do 12 plus hours of watching video over 4G. That would be awesome but the Nexus 5 likely won't be that extreme.

Packing a non removable 2300mah battery it doesn't seem like much. I love being able to carry a second battery but no go here external pack is all I can do. The device should be pretty efficient and judging by the rated stats I see 2 things here. The 17 hour rated talk time and 7-8 hour 4G time tells me I can probably get 16-24 hours out of the phone with 6-8 hours of screen on time. The standby time has gone down from the Nexus 4 a significant amount and this tells me features like listening for "OK Google" to wake the phone have taken their toll. Qi wireless charging is nice and with a broad range of compatibility means this is no longer a gimmick, I think I have just about worn out the USB port on my phone.

CPU
I haven't taken a look but the Snapdragon 800 quad core @ 2.3Ghz is pretty common for the hottest phones coming out right now. Considering the Nexus is actually a midrange device (despite its reputation, likely caused by the first model being outrageous) its a nice touch to see a NOW cpu and gpu in such a device. The HTC One & Galaxy S4 use the Snapdragon 600 and it would have been just as easy for Google to cheap out here. If its anything like the Nexus 4 the cost savings that allow this come from sharing designs with other high end LG hardware.

The disadvantage to a Nexus is the same as its advantage. It comes with stock android that gets updated before any other device on the market sometimes months ahead of others. Stock android in the past often lacks apps and features that might come on your bloated OEM phone. But with the open source drivers for the hardware projects like CyanogenMod make up the difference. CyanogenMod and other AOSP based firmwares bring many features from OEM and custom roms. They also have a tendency to be out in stable form before US phones gets updates of the same android version.

Looks pretty amazing. Almost tempting enough to drag me away from my S4. However, I have a rom that is so stable, does everything I need, and has great battery life. I am super excited about the competition this brings to the table.

Looks pretty amazing. Almost tempting enough to drag me away from my S4. However, I have a rom that is so stable, does everything I need, and has great battery life. I am super excited about the competition this brings to the table.

Would be little point in switching from the S4 especially if your on a custom stock rom thats enjoying the many features the S4 doesn't have on AOSP.

Question is at the moment is how long until the S4's and variants get 4.4. The google play editions are due in 15 days apparently. But the rest JUST got 4.3 days ago. The HTC One (international i presume) is due to get it in 90 days we will see if Samsung makes that pace for atleast the international and non US GSM models.

Well Rain, both of us got our Galaxy S2's at similar times. The Nexus 5 looks compelling, but I'm thinking of jumping ship to Verizon. I'm getting tired of having 1 or 2 bars of reception and limited 4G and slow or nonexistent 3G.

I have had the entire Samsung galaxy line up. Started with the S1 Captivate and now have the S4. Only one I never got was the galaxy nexus.
I like the AMOLED display. People who piss and moan about the pentile matrix are fucking losers who have never used one. Samsung builds rock solid shit, But they could learn a thing or two from HTC and apple in build material department. I was tempted to go for a nexus till LG started building them. Everyone I know with an LG TV or monitor has dead pixels..LG is junk in my mind. That said the Nexus experince would be nice I'm sure. But I root and ROM my phones, So no need for a nexus.

The thing is the Super AMOLED Plus isn't pen tile and thats whats in my S2. Why should I downgrade just for a PPI increase? Samsung cheaped out but it still made a nice product. I would prefer a 720p Super AMOLED Plus over a 1080p pentile any day. No one in imaging ever said give me less colors per pixel and I am the kinda guy who checks the pixel structure of a TV when I'm shopping.

LG doesn't go over well in my mind either. But anyone who has owned more than a few Samsung panels knows they're shit too. Samsung loves to cheap out on components. That said I've had great luck I have one that has the 10v capacitors in 12v PSU that go bad after a couple years been rocking on for 5 now. But as I said I feel pretty lucky I mean my PS3 model almost garuntees laser failure and its been rocking forever, my last Samsung phone survived 5 years of hitting people with it and throwing and this one I drop on purpose to piss off people with cracked screens. Then again I believe highly in the gel cases versus the hard shit most of them use.

Having an unlocked or exploitable device is different from owning a device where the drivers are available with source code. My Epic 4G Touch as its called has great community support. I have hosted for 8 developers making up a small portion of that phones supporters and we have had "Stable" CM9 CM10 and CM10.1 builds before Samsung/Sprint even had touchwiz of the same version out. But even with Cm 10.1 officially supported on our device purely because we have an Exynos 4 CPU they will never give us anything beyond night lies. Having the CPU in any device is an automatic fail for stable. I'd love to get the GNote3 and settle for a good stock based ROM but the only way I would ever be able to is on contract.

GSM devices often have a better experience as far as development goes. I mean you still often have something important like no source for the camera binaries stand in the way. But atleast voice/data are less of a problem. Qualcomm is a bit sensitive with the source code for CDMA radios.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Back