New video card

CoTTon

Ok, so since BF4 is coming out, time for a new video card since my SLI 560 wasn't even cutting it in BF4 Alpha

current specs :
Computer Specs:
Processor:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @4.20GHz (8 Theads),
Memory:

Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1600 9-9-9-24 Double Channel
Hard Drive:

4.0 Terabytes - 2 x 120GB OCZ Vortex 3 SSD
Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 x 2 SLI
Monitor:

LG L227WTG 22" Widescreen, LG L226WA 22" Widescreen with HDMI input
Sound Card:

Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 Low Profile PCI-E
Speakers/Headphones:

Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones, Logitech Z5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
Keyboard:

Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard
Mouse:

Logitech G5 Gaming Laser Mouse
Mouse Surface:

TurboFragpad.com Glass Mousepad
Operating System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Motherboard:

ASUS Maxiumus IV Extreme
Computer Case:

NZXT Red Phantom EATX Steel Computer Case
Connection:

200 Mbps download, 10 Mbps upload

What should I get?

Probably gonna spend around $400? I plan to SLI it sooner or later.

eh - I am only going to stay with Nvidia for now - thanks though

What's the resolution on your monitor, and do you plan to change that any time soon? On that small of a monitor the resolution's usually lower so you can get away with not needing top of the line, so maybe Nvidia 770 but I'd just get a 780 and not worry about upgrading any time soon. You'll spend the money either way, it's just a question of now or a little now and more later.

Hmm. Ok.

Default reso's 1680x1050. 22inches

Would I need to SLI at 780?

I wouldn't think so, but you always could if you wanted to.

I would almost argue that bigger monitor, rez & refresh rate is just as important as upgrading his games from a gameplay perspective. You could (with sales) get a 770 + bigger monitor compared with the difference of one 780. Eg. 770 is about $400 CAD here and 780 about $650 CAD. A 770 would still push ok rates at 19x10. You could even pick up on sale a half decent 120hz for $300 CAD.Just don't go near memoryexpress dude!

Hmm. Is there a big performance boost between 770 and 780?

Thinking to just get the Titan then if I'm getting the 780 lol...

Like someone else asked, wait until Sept 23. AMD is announcing new cards to (rumor has it) compete with the 780/Titan, so there might actually be sales on the 780/Titan over the next month or so.

Rumor has it that they'll release a "Titan Ultra" with an extra unlocked shader cluster, like the Tesla version of the Kepler chip. Probably won't be worth the price, but it might push the 780 down more.

As far as 780 vs Titan, IMO the Titan isn't worth it. You're essentially paying for a few more shaders and an extra 3GB memory. You can overclock the 780 higher, which makes the shaders meaningless, so maybe if you care about 6GB vs 3GB video memory.... I don't think it matters at the moment. But that's ALL you're paying for - the extra 3GB memory.

I think the voltage regulation is a bit more relaxed on the 780s (or at least board partners have tried to push more into what I understand is a fairly locked-down design by nvidia), so... that's the reason you see pretty much as many 780s as Titans here: 3DMark Hall Of Fame : Fire Strike

Yeah, and if you get the EVGA Classified 780 that thing's voltage restrictions are loosened another 15% higher than other 780s. I've seen the scores from those things and they outperform the titans when they're overclocked.

Any 780 overclocked will usually outperform a stock Titan. That's nothing new. It's been like this in every generation. What used to be the case is that you could overclock the highest tier card as well, but that's no longer the case - not nearly as much anyway. Blame nvidia's restrictions on voltage and pure economics for that - Titan vs 780 sales are in a 1:10 ratio at least, so guess what - the 780 cards are getting a lot more "attention" as far as overclockability goes. So while at stock the Titan "wins," when you overclock, both cards kind of end up the same. Except the extra memory :) .

Ah, sorry I wasn't clearer about that-I meant that the 780 classified overclocked beats the titans overclocked from what I've seen. Mainly this is because you can up the voltage 1.35 on the Classifieds with software like EVGA precision or 1.5 with the EVbot hardware.
For other 780s the voltage is capped at 1.21 and the titan at 1.212v.

Hmm. Ok thanks. Guess I can wait till a week before bf4 comes out and buy it then.

Thanks

Back