Looks like it might be time for me to build a new system...

Meh, I'll wait for 2016. All of the 980s are built on an old platform; excuse me-"mature". When the new gpus come out next year with a smaller die then I'll get one for 4k. In the meantime the 4k panels don't hold appeal to me without a real workhorse that can run them.

Pascal isn't going to be until next year and the AMD stuff hasn't even been announced as far as I know. However a 980 ti is probably out of the picture now for me. I just found out at work the bonus I was expecting is roughly twice as much as I thought it would be. A quad Titan X system would still be under budget. What would you guys buy then? I've been stuck with a 680 GTX for quite a while now and want to spend some money.

im an amd guy myself and for once I can say im happy with what im currently running and hope it lasts atleast another year but yeah the itch to buy bigger better is always there. buy what ya like I do hell I have a 1000w psu do I need it nope did I want just to have it hell yes

One of the things I was thinking about was DirectX 12 and how much its supposed to increase performance. I thought maybe that performance increase coupled with the 980 ti would let me turn up the settings on my current games for a while. Maybe I should stick with the 680 GTX and save my money for next year. I guess really the deciding factor is what games do I want to play. Currently its D3, HoTS, BF4 and maybe Hardline. However we have Battlefront coming and some other good games later in the year.

That 980ti won't do 4k very well. expect about 30 fps avg.
4 k gaming is still a ways off.

That 980ti won't do 4k very well. expect about 30 fps avg.
4 k gaming is still a ways off.

I had no illusion about that however DirectX 12 is supposed to change performance significantly, which that card supports and future games will. Not sure if that includes Battlefront or not. I don't expect 4K powerhouses until next year but there are still some that may be half-way decent with DX12.

Monitors aren't wowing me though. Acer seems to be the main brand with g-sync and 4k. I'm not really a fan of Acer even thought they made the first PC I ever owned back in the 90's.

Back