Looking to upgrade to 4k...maybe

VocalBellybutton

Admin
Admin
Donator
Hey guys
I think I'd like to upgrade from the 1080p world and move up to something better. Currently, I have a 23" LG 1080p. With my vision, (thankfully) I can see the pixels when I'm doing certain things like spreadsheets, browsing the web, etc. For games and videos I don't really notice but it still bugs me. I noticed for higher-resolution monitors the size is always bigger. Should I worry about pixel density or does the higher resolution take care of it for me? Also, is it worth the (significant) extra money for a 4k or can I settle for 1440?

-vb

1440p is a good middle ground, i have a 1440p 144hz VA monitor i use for general internet/fun gaming (i.e. im not tryharding and trying to get max fps). 27" is the sweet spot for pixel density in 1440. plus you wont need to upgrade everything to run games on it at a good framerate

agreed....1440p is a great place to be simply because it does not need a 1000 dollar plus GPU to stay over 60 frames in most games....i run a 32inch monitor at 1440p with a GTX1070 and rarely drop under 60 frames in any game with a lot of the settings maxed out....i am able to run the new doom with maxed settings and stay right at 60 frames

real world its going to come down to what you want to do....if you have been running 1080p for a long time good odds you are going to need to upgrade something to run 4k IF you go that way.....at 1440p you maybe able to hold on to your current hardware for a year or 2 depending on what it is....

list for my old rig
4670k i5 at 4ghz constant with turbo boost off
ASUS Z97 motherboard
16gb of 2133 DDR3
GTX 1070 at stock clock speeds

this^^^^^ is a OLD system when you look at the fact my CPU is 6 years old and my GPU is about 4 years old...but the old pile of junk still runs 1440p just fine with most games not maxing out my CPU and my GPU only being maxed out if i turn Vsync off (my monitor will only over clock to 75hz so i leave it on 60 frames)....if you want higher frame rates with a system like this it can be done by lower settings

so in saying all of this what do you want, what are you starting with and how much do you really want to spend???

Thanks y'all for the input. I just built a new rig in October so I'm running an i7-9700k and a GTX 2070 so hopefully frames won't be a huge issue for now. I mostly play older games right now anyways (like BF4 =D). I'm not super competitive so I don't the best of the best in terms of refresh rate and all that, but if it inhibits me I'll just get annoyed haha

I don't have a ton of desk space which worries me in terms of a giant monitor. Currently have this 23" and an old Dell 1703sp for my second screen so pretty much anything I go with would be an upgrade. I was hoping to stay in the sub $300 range, so my options have been quite limited for the 4k options.

I have a 3440 X 1440 and 100 Mhz 37 inch curved with a GTX2080 and i LOVE it..

^^^he went crazy...but he got a monitor that will last years....i would love to have a monitor like that.....

as for bellybutton, you are doing great so far...i would say go 1440p with what you have, to give you years of gaming without changing anything...you can do 4k playing with settings in every game now or just "balls to the wall" it with a 1440p monitor on that system for i would say a good 2 to 3 years....hitting the 4 maybe 5 year market with your current system and a 1440p monitor you would start to play with settings a lot more.....

looking around i see these

27 inch 1440p for only 250 bucks
https://www.newegg.com/acer-v277u-27-qhd/p/N82E16824011270?Item=N82E16824011270

28 inch 4K monitor IF you want to go for it at only 330 bucks
https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-vp28uqgl-90lm03m0-b021b0-28/p/N82E16824281003

and really crazy at 500 bucks BUT its a 34 inch ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor at a 100hz like @Statistic68 monitor
https://www.newegg.com/black-acer-ed7-series-ed347ckr-bmidphzx-34/p/N82E16824011196

i have not used any of these but they have good reviews with 2 of them around your price range.....your 2070 should have no problems running these but going crazy with the 500 dollar option would mean upgrading GPU's faster....you will have to make that call....

last dont be scared of desk space...buy a wall or desk mount for the monitor and reclaim your desk top space

this 14 dollar wall mount i have used in 3 places and LOVE IT
https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Articul...inch+monitor+wall+mount&qid=1588302894&sr=8-4

just a idea as i have NOT used this one but you could even do a dual mount arm and keep 1 of your current monitors as a secondary
https://www.amazon.com/HUANUO-Dual-...nch+monitor+desk+mount&qid=1588303180&sr=8-17

these are some ideas take a look around....you will find out you have some good options even staying to 300 bucks (i only spent 220 on monitor)

one other thing i forgot....when you go up in resolution you will have to change mouse settings to a faster DPI speed to cover the new pixel space....so you may need to buy a 50 dollar mouse to match the new monitor....

Last edited:
i use a 55in TCL 4k tv.. 2019 model has low lag input.. my 4k is great. i enjoy doing everything on it. from all my gaming needs, to spreadsheets, comparing items that im looking to buy and watch movies at the same time in 1080p in one corner. i use a i5-9500k 9th generation, with a 1080ti video card. games play just fine.

just fyi, both of those are 60hz, which means you wont see anything past 60FPS on your monitor. also both of those are TN panels, so the colors are not going to be as vibrant as with a IPS/VA panel.

with the specs for your new build. i do strongly recommend going 1440p. youll be able to play max graphics at 144fps for any most games. which trust me there is a huge jump in smoothness between 60fps and 144fps. and to me, the jump in clarity is much lower between 2k and 4k.

this monitor https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824475051 is 1440p and 165hz(which means itll output 165fps to the monitor). also its a VA panel, so the colors are better than TN(the two you linked).

I understand. The reason I went forward was the knowledge that I might be having this conversation again in 2-3 years :)

Hey guys
I think I'd like to upgrade from the 1080p world and move up to something better. Currently, I have a 23" LG 1080p. With my vision, (thankfully) I can see the pixels when I'm doing certain things like spreadsheets, browsing the web, etc. For games and videos I don't really notice but it still bugs me. I noticed for higher-resolution monitors the size is always bigger. Should I worry about pixel density or does the higher resolution take care of it for me? Also, is it worth the (significant) extra money for a 4k or can I settle for 1440?

-vb
1440 would be the sweet spot, 60hz monitor wont make sense for gaming, since u said u like old games, then dont go for ultra wide 21:9, old games dont support it, get some good 16:9, I like curved monitors, but if you want a flat 27"" monitor just get this one: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27GL850-gaming-monitor

LG 27GL850 27'' UltraGear:
  • Nano IPS 1ms response time
  • 27” QHD (2560 x 1440) Nano IPS Display
  • NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Compatible
  • Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync™)
  • 144Hz refresh rate
  • HDR 10
499usd

LG 27GL850 27'' UltraGear:
  • Nano IPS 1ms response time
  • 27” QHD (2560 x 1440) Nano IPS Display
  • NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Compatible
  • Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync™)
  • 144Hz refresh rate
  • HDR 10
499usd

Little out of my price range haha...maybe one day once I take over the world >:]

Here's my new setup with the new monitor. Only been a few hours but at this point I'm quite pleased!

Attachments

• new setup.jpg
    new setup.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 323
Here's my new setup with the new monitor. Only been a few hours but at this point I'm quite pleased!

If you go into the monitor settings using the little joystick in the back, you can adjust the color/various settings. I like the RPG preset for color, and have "free sync" and "zero latency" on. The monitor is gsync compatible with freesync mode on

Back