Looking to buy a new sound card.

Most people here will tell you to avoid creative for driver issues and probably tell you to buy an ASUS Xonar.... doesn't matter too much though anything could need a bit of fiddling.

Cheap = PCI, PCI-E for the same basic card seems to cost a bit more.

Since boards still have PCI i said screw it went with the Xonar DS no regrets, good amp much lower noise level than onboard - Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audio Card you could go super cheap for the 5.1 - Newegg.com - ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card

The PCI-E DX 7.1 fits under the price of your creative - Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

The DS/DX has optical its just over an adapter i forget what its called, but its included.

Why buy old when the new is around the corner.

Why buy old when the new is around the corner.

Yeah well there is still the issue of budget, if 200 dollars is not an option then its... not an option. Duke whats your budget, you said you were looking for "best cheap"? Trust me anytime I ask for something under 40 bucks the first thing i get linked is 500 bucks. I figured by your selection 100 bucks but you would like cheaper if it matches up?

ASUS is only putting a couple of models into the lineup most of whats out now is staying out for another year. The DX is from 2008, the DS is 2009, the el cheapo DG was introduced in 2010, they don't refresh very often.

Is the current one giving you trouble? Personally I wouldn't bother if it isn't. While there may be plenty of improvement to be had I think you would be hard pressed to be able to truly tell the difference in this range. Then again low noise and enough power to drive the lower frequencies is all I need maybe bobsama or any of the other audiophiles can speculate on this end of the price range.

For some reason when I do a re-install with Win7 I have an issue with my computer locking up when I play my WM Player. It only happened when I had my headset plugged in. So I left it out and everything was fine. I just now plugged my headset back into the card and everything seems fine right now. I am inclined to just keep the one I have. If this one starts acting up again I will get that ASUS. It's all I need.

Back