Kodi is not Dead

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SlamJammer, Jun 27, 2017.

1. SlamJammer

SlamJammer Admin Admin

Nov 12, 2014
    Male
    New York City Metro Area
    United States United States
  2. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Active Member Head Admin

Mar 6, 2011
    Male
    In The Machine
    Kodi should have never been in danger. That would be like blaming the operating system for applications running on it.

HomebrewerCraig likes this.
  3. Alteredacer

Alteredacer Admin Admin

Jul 11, 2015
    Male
    Near Jacksonville FL
    I have read a bunch of articles and it seems most of the pressure is on eoropean users after lawsuits from dish network and a soccer network. They seem to be chasing sellers of boxes or firesticks that are preloaded, like you said not looking for end users yet

Maybe using a VPN that doesn't keep connect records may shield users for a while...

4. SlamJammer

SlamJammer Admin Admin

Nov 12, 2014
    Male
    New York City Metro Area
    Totally agree with that. Not their fault outside developers took it to a new level, without their permission.

Yep it seems more like just EU, but I would be careful. As far as a VPN goes, I thought that was the point of using VPN so you couldn't be traced.

5. manny8083

manny8083 Admin Admin

Nov 27, 2014
    Male
    Accountant
    Monsey, NY
    As @RainMotorsports would point out, only if the VPN is encrypted, otherwise your ISP can see everything.

6. RainMotorsports

Mar 6, 2011
    Male
    In The Machine
    The NSA or FBI can rack hardware between the VPN server and the network switch and see all the unencrypted traffic. Same as if you hosted your own VPN and they put a man in the middle server to see what traffic is going on. The VPN server itself is at least short term logging requests. It knows what user IP the requests are being sent to even though the server requested from doesn't. Put 2 and 2 together. It only does so much for so long.

Your ISP can't actually see what pages your viewing on a website if the website used SSL. All of that is encrypted which is why you see countries blocking entire websites because of a single thread they can't block.

7. xAnAngelOfDeathx

xAnAngelOfDeathx Registered User Registered User

May 8, 2016
    Male
    International Playboy, Man of Mystery
    Manitoba, Canada
    Canada Canada
    Still using Kodi and it's working great.

8. SlamJammer

SlamJammer Admin Admin

Nov 12, 2014
    Male
    New York City Metro Area
    That's cool. Thanks for letting us know. I've been debating whether or not I should remove it for my computer all together.

9. Irishian88J

Irishian88J Ban Manager Head Admin

Mar 28, 2015
    Male
    MA
    I didn't even bother installing it. I knew at some point sooner or later it's going to go bye bye. Plus I have access to different (Legitimate) outlets to watch what I want.

I'm not saying Kodi is a bad thing. On the contrary it's awesome. But I think it's not going to last and why go through all the trouble of setting it up only for it to disappear.

10. RainMotorsports

Mar 6, 2011
    Male
    In The Machine
    Kodi isn't going anywhere. Long after martial law and the NSA becoming an ISP you can still use it what it was made for :p Those of us remember Kodi is what became of XBMC.

11. watchyourbehind

watchyourbehind Admin Admin

Aug 16, 2013
    Male
    Mastic, NY (Long Island)
    I remember when Kodi was XBMC. I would recommend that you always use a VPN.