How to connect to the TBG Left 4 Dead Server

HeatSurge

Alright... since a few people have started playing L4D lately, here's what you need to do for the game to end up in the TBG L4D server. It's in Chicago and has no mods at all, and it's reserved for the TBG steam group which means it should always be available (no pub games).

You can directly connect to the TBG server, but I don't recommend it, because it's usually in versus mode (leftover from the previous game) and you'll be all alone...

The only thing you need to do is to have the lobby leader copy/paste this into their console before starting the game. The console is enabled in one of the option menus "developer console: enabled/disabled" or something:

mm_dedicated_force_servers 8.9.16.43:27015

Then, after they've typed it, just start the game and it will be on the TBG server. If the lobby leader is you, you need to type it. If it's somebody else, they need to type it. Nobody else in the lobby needs to do anything.

You can copy/paste in steam, right in the lobby, so I recommend that you copy it to clipboard before you start the game (from here or a text file on your desktop).

Personally, I have a .cfg file which automatically executes this (so I don't need to type it if I'm a lobby leader). If you want to do that, you need to go into:
[wherever steam is installed]\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\cfg

There, you'll see a bunch of .cfg's. They're just plain text files. What you need to do is create an autoexec.cfg. Whatever you put in that file (console commands) will be executed every time you start left 4 dead... so you should put a line like this there:

mm_dedicated_force_servers 8.9.16.43:27015

Some people use autoexec.cfg for scripts and macros and stuff (like pistol autofire, autoreload for the shotgun, autocrouch, etc.). The source games are very moddable/scriptable, so there's all kinds of possibilities. These are not considered cheats by Valve, so you're safe with any console command. Personally, I don't use any.

Back