Hi-Speed modem question for my fellow nerds.

Space_Ace76

Okay guys, I have a nice gaming rig, but one time I got a virus a year ago, so I did a factory restore of my computer, put everything for windows with all the CD's I have. I also installed the ethernet modem software too, but when I put the ethernet cord into the jack, it wont read the input. Its just blank, like its not plugged in. None of the default window network service options like Default Gateway, ISP addy or serial ports work.

So, my question is, if I get a new ethernet card and instal all the software, will it actually work or is there something wrong with my DOS bios or what?

Any help would be appriciated.

Have you checked through network connections, to make sure that your local area connection is enabled?

First what kind of internet are your running? Cable, DSL, Satellite, ADSL, etc.
Second what connection do you use to connect to your modem, USB, Serial, Cat5 (Ethernet), etc.
Third what error or lack there of are you getting in windows.
Forth have you tried powering down you modem and powering it on again.

Yeah it simpley says NVidia nForce is installed and working, but it says network cable is unplugged. When I plug in the cable, it doesnt read it or anything, still says its unplugged. I took it to a computer repair shop, they couldnt figure it out.

Try right clicking My Computer. Select Manage. Select Device Manager. Look under Network Adapters. Are there any red X's or yellow exclamation points? Also what type of motherboard do you have? You may need to reinstall the NVidia chipset drivers.

I already installed all the chipsets. There are no exclamation points anywhere, it lists the Nvidia drivers and says each one is working properly.

I spent hours with an NVidia adapter on my mother's computer when it died. BIOS settings, chipset drivers, uninstalls, and just about everything else. It simply took a major shit but was still hanging out. I never could find a solution, but $15.00 later she had a new PCI card that worked like a champ. Just a thouhgt . . .

id grab a new card and try it.

but if you havent given up yet, try plugging in a router or using a cat5 connection somewhere like a library. make sure the problem isnt your PC, it could be the device like the modem.

Yeah, I replaced the cable twice and went through two different servers. Still nothing.

Soldier, when my computer first boots up and you hit tab or f3 to go into your default system DOS options, it lists 3 different Modem Bio option with some numbers like 3214 or something, so I figured maybe they arent in the right combitnation or something.

Sucks balls man, been wireless since I done a system restore/

Which OS are you running? If the modem is on a PCI card just drop 10 bones for a new one. If its on the I/O I would go to device manager and try to update drivers on it first. If that doesn't work try to find a newer driver online.

Alright, thanks guys. I think Im just going to stick this PC into a new arcade and just buy something brand new. Just easier than trying to keep up with all these new games and shit.

Funny, most people buy new games, I buy new computers for the new games. Kinda lame.

Back