Help with new PC

Homeless

Hey all, long time no chat. I just built, from the ground up, a new PC. I have never done this before, only replaced parts. So i have everything installed and have turned on the power, nothing is smoking which I feel is a good sign. The down side is nothing is coming up on screen. Now my question, and it may seem dumb, do I need to pre-load the SSD with the MB info and the window OS I will be running? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Gear
EVGA GeForce 970gtx
EVGA 650 GS PSU
Asus Sabertooth Z97 mark 2 MB
Intel i5 4690K
Hyper 212 evo cooler
NZXT Phantom Red full tower
Creative sound blaster Audigy 5
Samsung 850 evo 250g SSD

like absolutely nothing is coming up? not even the BIOS?

like absolutely nothing is coming up? not even the BIOS?

Not a thing, I turn on the monitor and it says there is no signal. The SSD is brand new and there is nothing loaded on it. Should i unplug it and see if the BIOS boots?

yeah do that, if still nothing on screen try another screen or cable

no other monitor to use, unplugged it and nothing, tried a different cable and nothing

does the MB have an LED on it to indelicate it is on. most do. no you dont need anything connected for it to boot. you dont need a drive or ever a monitor.

most MB will peep it its missing mem or video but very from MB or MB.

Are the fans are turning and blowing air in the proper directions?
Make sure all components are properly seated into the mobo?
Leave the mobo slightly loose when installing video and sound cards.
Once they are tightened then snug up the mobo.
Only test with the 'c' drive. Does it have power and proper cable?
Are you using proper cable for the monitor?

It might benefit you to watch some of the videos at youtube for building pc's.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=building+new+pc

Keep us informed.

Last edited:
There is 2 lights that come on a red one on the right side and a green one at the bottom. The fan for the cooler comes on but not the tower fans, haven't plugged them in yet.

That's what that was for. Lol. I'm out right now. I'll recheck everything and add the speaker when I get back.

ok, ya the peeps are important kind of. most the time if they are not peeping, you might be missing a power connector not connected or loose. peeps would indicate that the mem might not be seated right or the video might not be seated right.

does it have on-board video?

I assume the monitor cable is plugged into the correct port (video card not mobo) and the monitor is on the correct input. =)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

There is 2 lights that come on a red one on the right side and a green one at the bottom. The fan for the cooler comes on but not the tower fans, haven't plugged them in yet.
If you don't have the cpu fan connected the rig won't turn on.
Check your power cables...is the GPU power cable connected?
Is the CPU power cable connected to the MB?
What connector are you using between the GPU and and monitor?

Is your monitor connected to the motherboard or gpu port?

Ok, Fans are working, speaker is set up but I am not hearing any beeping at all when i turn it on. I rechecked all wires and they are all secured. The monitor is plugged into the video card not the mobo and is set to auto-detect. The video card fans turn on, but then turn back off, so it is getting power.....

Does the monitor have another port you could test with? maybe the hdmi is fried?

not running through HDMI currently. I did try to run through HDMI as well with no avail. Thinking maybe there is not enough juice, I figured 650 would be enough. Thinking I may swap out for my 850 and see if that works

This happened to me once and I scratched my noggin for two hours until I figured it out. I never built a pc before that required a 2nd power cable to run to the mobo to power the cpu... Did you remember to plug in the CPU power connection? EDIT: I see sixer already mentioned that above:)

This happened to me once and I scratched my noggin for two hours until I figured it out. I never built a pc before that required a 2nd power cable to run to the mobo to power the cpu... Did you remember to plug in the CPU power connection? EDIT: I see sixer already mentioned that above:)

I have the 24 prong and the 8 prong power connectors hooked up. Just swapped the power supply and nothing changed. Is it possible the mobo is junk?

Back