Help me build a new PC or upgrade

completely my opinion...

to the OP.....DONT UPGRADE until you have tried some things....ok let me start out by saying i have a 4670k i5 with a Z97 motherboard, 16gb of 2133, a GTX 1070 with a couple of sata based SSD drives and normal spinners for storage....i had lots of stuttering issues until i did a few things.....

1....unpark cores.....windows 7 8 and 10 all park cores that can cause things to lag in game or in everyday PC driving like web browsing...google "unparking cores"
2....make sure your memory is running the right speed....lots of the 8 and 9 series motherboards for the 4000 and 5000 "i" CPUs dont hold bios settings after a power outage...check timings and memory speed in bios....my X87 and my Z97 motherboards both lost bios settings even with good bios batteries on the motherboards....the x87 was a MSI and the Z97 is a ASUS so maker did not matter
3...depending on programs used, hyper threading can be causing issues....if you see stuttering when using one type of software google to see if that software runs better with hyper threading off....
4...i see nothing on the 4770k you have being overclocked....the puppy can see 5ghz with a little work....you dont need a water cooler to get it that high as long as you have a coolermaster 212 CPU cooler in a good case with many fans pushing air to it and overclocking that CPU gets you some extra miles(DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE OVERCLOCKING)....many guilds are out there for the 4000 "i" series and overclocking just them....
5....have you checked to make sure nothing funny is happening like your 1070 only running 4 or 8 PCI-E lanes???....i have a computer that is in one spot that always picks up cat hair....every 6 to 8 months i have to take the GTX960 out of the house server to clean the PCI-E 16 slot as dust gets on the back side of the of the card and PCI-E 16 slot, causing it to run at 4 or even 2 PCI-E lanes making 4k videos stutter on my TV....

to do most of this you can download CPU-ID and GPU-ID to see if your system is running right on memory timing, GPU PCI-E lanes used and what is going on with CPU....i know my i5 has no hyper threading but i have been building PCs for over 15 years now and i have many 4 series i5's and i7's builds still going strong in the world with my 4670k being one of them...i also have 2 friends running 4770k systems i built that have been at 5ghz for over 4 years now on a coolermaster 212 BUT they have massive cases with 200mm fans that are in A/C controlled rooms....

to just me i would not get rid of the system until there is a true need for it....with a little work that PC will play anything out right now if you dont have any hardware failing

if you want to blow the money i would go with a AMD 2600, 16gb of 3200 memory and any of the B450 motherboards that have good reviews that you like the look of.....the rest of the parts i would get off your current system....keep the drives, keep the power supply and keep the case if you can....on storage the M.2 drives are better and way faster but limit you on what you can do when it comes to things like dual boot....yes the speeds are insane but for the price of a 512gb M.2 X4 you can get a really good 1tb sata SSD drive that would be killer for games....i always go for the cheaper end of the market dealing with people that have budgets to stay in....with AMD offerings right now you can get a lot of bang for your buck....one other thing i would not even think about buying a RTX GPU right now.....your current card is a good one and nvidia has lost their dam minds with the new prices.....

my system is ready (pics later in the evening).

the 1700x runs HOT. the stock 95w tdp (wraith spire) cooler can handle it in BFV, but that's about it - it sounds like the neighbor's vacuum while doing it.

Getting a new cooler, perhaps an NZXT x72 @sixer9682 do you have any cheapo recommendations (<200usd) for a super cooler that doesn't take too much time to set up?

my system is ready (pics later in the evening).

the 1700x runs HOT. the stock 95w tdp (wraith spire) cooler can handle it in BFV, but that's about it - it sounds like the neighbor's vacuum while doing it.

Getting a new cooler, perhaps an NZXT x72 @sixer9682 do you have any cheapo recommendations (<200usd) for a super cooler that doesn't take too much time to set up?
Fractal Design has a 360mm AIO cooler for $113.00 right now. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352030&Description=360mm aio&cm_re=360mm_aio-_-35-352-030-_-Product

IDK what's available in your location but anything from a 240mm to 360mm AIO cooler is the way to go. The larger the better.

Still decent on price. This one's a good option for functionality. It does a pretty good job without any RBG fanfair. You can't change the pump head on this one so it limits the custom aspect of it but for plug and play it's perfect.

The Corsair RBG one is a bit more a t $139 US at Newegg.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...io&cm_re=360mm_aio-_-2YM-0004-00023-_-Product
This one performs a bit better, but that' s due to the insanely loud fanes that reach over 2200 rpm.

If, later on, a few degrees is worth it to you there are always aftermarket fans that do good job for cheap.

I was planning on getting one of the Corsair ones. They new versions have LED fans as well as LED on the pumps.

I can recommend the Corsair H115i GTX and the Corsair H150i. I own them both.

Also, be aware that there is a common issue with 2nd Gen ryzen temperatures being reported 20-50 degrees hotter than they really are in certain temp monitoring programs. Corsair Link is one of them, and I'm not sure if this is also an issue with 1st Gen. It's a good idea to use two programs to check your temps, just to be sure.

I can recommend the Corsair H115i GTX and the Corsair H150i. I own them both.

Also, be aware that there is a common issue with 2nd Gen ryzen temperatures being reported 20-50 degrees hotter than they really are in certain temp monitoring programs. Corsair Link is one of them, and I'm not sure if this is also an issue with 1st Gen. It's a good idea to use two programs to check your temps, just to be sure.
20C for the 1st generation like he has in the 1700x.

So if the software says 70C subtract 20C and there's your core temp.....which is stupid.

20C for the 1st generation like he has in the 1700x.

So if the software says 70C subtract 20C and there's your core temp.....which is stupid.

I currently use Corsair iCue and Asus AI suite. Both are reporting correct temps, so you can check those out if you have any doubt.

@Deputy Swan

I'm sorry if this has been touched on already, but im lazy and not reading through all the posts.
So with that, based on the OP I'll give you my 2 3/4 cents. I've helped plenty of people here and I'm more then willing to talk to you via PM or even Cell/text to go over troubleshooting etc.

1. Upgrade to Windows 10. People will give you mixed opinions, but the facts are Windows 10 is obviously a newer and better optimized OS that WILL give better gaming performance.
2. Get a quality SSD. Samsung PRO series.
3. Potentially a newer GPU. DO you just want to game at 1080? Do you plan on or use a 120hz+ Monitor?

Is your current PC a prebuilt from like ORIGIN etc? If not, what brand is the 1070?
What brand/model is your MoBo?
You have Current drivers, Windows updates, BIOS etc? Everything has been cleaned Software and Dust free?

Besides the above, I can't see you doing anything else. Most games out shouldn't be stressing your 4770k. Depending on what you want, the 1070 could be holding you back. If you want to feel like a new build, replace the mentioned items and a "maybe" on the GPU/MoBo and buy a new case to move all the stuff over like a new build. Anyways, Feel free to toss me a PM and I'll be happy to go over more stuff with you and or exchange #'s.

Last edited:
Still decent on price. This one's a good option for functionality. It does a pretty good job without any RBG fanfair. You can't change the pump head on this one so it limits the custom aspect of it but for plug and play it's perfect.

The Corsair RBG one is a bit more a t $139 US at Newegg.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2YM-0004-00023&Description=360mm aio&cm_re=360mm_aio-_-2YM-0004-00023-_-Product
This one performs a bit better, but that' s due to the insanely loud fanes that reach over 2200 rpm.

If, later on, a few degrees is worth it to you there are always aftermarket fans that do good job for cheap.

You linked a cooler master.

But, I checked out cooler masters, and their 240 lite seems to be amazing -
this guy ran a stress test on 7820x (140W tdp) and the temps are ridiculously low
(5:58)

Any opinions on cooler master 240 lite? it is crazy cheap (54.46 @ https://arvutitark.ee/est/tootekata...-CPU-Watercooling-MasterLiuid-Lite-240-332485

CM website: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-lite-240/
CM TDP table: http://www.coolermaster.com/tdp-and-socket-compatibility/

ok, the cooler master is a leaker - design flaw with radiator screw holes (tubes right behind screws...) :) S36 looks like the way to go.

46493715_2085532041506617_2287872041413509120_n.jpg

boom.

thing's heavy lol - weighs about as much as the rest of the system combined

I'm actually in the same boat. I'm an AMD guy and the Ryzen 5 is super affordable right now. With a watercooler you're talking about you can get lots of extra power from an AMD chip. also there aren't games that are dependent upon the 8 core so you can stick with a slightly more cost effective processor! Also, check on the release dates of some of the new Intel items. I find that whenever there is a new intel release that the amd pieces drop anywhere from $50-100

46493715_2085532041506617_2287872041413509120_n.jpg

boom.

thing's heavy lol - weighs about as much as the rest of the system combined

total overkill....yeah its going to work if you can get it installed in the case but the sad fact is you wont get more then 5 to maybe 10 degrees cooler then what a 30 dollar coolermaster 212 EVO would have gotten you on temps, if it was in a good case with fans feeding it cool air....placement of case, number of case fans and good thermal paste can change the temps better then high end coolers....one other factor...the stock thermal paste on the ryzen coolers is pure GARBAGE.....i just built 5 systems using AMD 2200g's, on asrock B450 motherboards....when i got all of them together i really did not like the idle temps around a 115F i was getting....so i took off one stock cooler, wiped the stock thermal paste off and put on the stuff i have been using for years with the SAME stock cooler....it dropped idle temps down to 90F from 110~115....the problem with stock thermal paste is it dries out sitting in the box and hardens causing it to not work as well as freshly applied paste...one thing with stock coolers....they put on the paste so thick its like cake icing....i never use more then a pea sized drop of thermal paste on any of my installs....

total overkill....yeah its going to work if you can get it installed in the case but the sad fact is you wont get more then 5 to maybe 10 degrees cooler then what a 30 dollar coolermaster 212 EVO would have gotten you on temps, if it was in a good case with fans feeding it cool air....placement of case, number of case fans and good thermal paste can change the temps better then high end coolers....one other factor...the stock thermal paste on the ryzen coolers is pure GARBAGE.....i just built 5 systems using AMD 2200g's, on asrock B450 motherboards....when i got all of them together i really did not like the idle temps around a 115F i was getting....so i took off one stock cooler, wiped the stock thermal paste off and put on the stuff i have been using for years with the SAME stock cooler....it dropped idle temps down to 90F from 110~115....the problem with stock thermal paste is it dries out sitting in the box and hardens causing it to not work as well as freshly applied paste...one thing with stock coolers....they put on the paste so thick its like cake icing....i never use more then a pea sized drop of thermal paste on any of my installs....

I quite like it. keeps my CPU at ambient under full load (20C)
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12573191 <- full system

super simple build with horrendous fan cable management (diy solution to lack of airflow over gpu…)

SbAP4fG.jpg

I quite like it. keeps my CPU at ambient under full load (20C)
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12573191 <- full system

super simple build with horrendous fan cable management (diy solution to lack of airflow over gpu…)

SbAP4fG.jpg

the sad part is a 212 coolermaster EVO would have only been 5 degrees hotter in a case like that....with 3 intake fans at the front and the 2 you have at the top taking air out of the case you would have been fine with the 30 dollar cooler.....i put a 212 evo on a 6950X that is overclocked to 4.5ghz....in a A/C controlled room with a coolermaster 922 case with 3 200mm fans that CPU never goes over 125f under full load....the only way i have ever really beaten the 212 EVO CPU cooler was by using 2 360mm radiators in a custom loop with the radiators on a custom mount in front of a window shacker A/C unit....even then the temps were only 15 degrees cooler then the 30 dollar 212 EVO.....i even drilled holes in a small dorm room fridge and put in 2 240mm radiators for a 3930k at 5ghz to get only 10 degrees cooler then the EVO in the same room....

Back