HDMI vs DPI

F1tzwell

I think its called a DPI looks like a VGA cord but a little different connectors?

Anyways I moved my rigged and swapped my HDMI cord and my DPI cord the screen on my monitor with the HDMI looks a little faded I thought HDMI was the end all be all of connections. Was I wrong?

HDMI carries sound; DVI does not. If you have speakers you would want to use on your monitor go with HDMI.

Pretty sure Duel Link DVI can do sound and high refresh rate though, I know it can do high refresh rate. Just depends on what kinda DVI port where talking about, but display port is king any ways.

I think he means DP as in Display Port. Display Port exists because HDMI requires device manufacturers pay a license fee. Both are backwards compatible with DVI and therefore with each other. DP brought 60hz to 4K a little sooner and its the platform choice for AMD's FreeSync.

If your on 1080P there is absolutely no reason to give a fuck about which connector you use. The only exception is if you had a FreeSync monitor.

DisplayPort, if you have it, is the best connection to use. It usually gives you the best image you can possibly get. When WFH I plug in my 12"1366x768 work laptop into a 27"2560x1440 screen at home, there are no options that I could manipulate, but it automatically goes to the monitor's native resolution, it also lets me run stuff at 144hz, which my laptop screen does not even support.

As an added bonus, displayport cables tend to have an auto-locking feature, I've seen some newer screens, systems with DVI&VGA connections where you can't screw the damn cable in and it always falls out when a cat walks by, no such issues with DP.

(and yeah, if you want g-sync or freesync, DP is a must.)

Im pretty sure you cant go over 60hz on 1080p with just HDMI

You can do 60hz 8K with HDMI 2.1 though that isn't in any products yet. It depends on the spec. You can do 3D 1080P 120hz with HDMI 1.4b. Which should be common as fuck.

We've been able to exceed 60hz with 1080p since 1.3 which has been out for years. But more recent stuff can exceed 120hz

I meant DVI definitely not display port that is such an oddity it would be hard to mistake it for something else. I just thought that HDMI would have the same if not a better look if there would be any difference at all. My fancy new monitor looks a little white washed is all. I'll go pick up another DVI cord today then I can have two monitors of beautiful goodness. DEATH TO HDMI!!!!!1!!!!!!!1!

I meant DVI definitely not display port that is such an oddity it would be hard to mistake it for something else. I just thought that HDMI would have the same if not a better look if there would be any difference at all. My fancy new monitor looks a little white washed is all. I'll go pick up another DVI cord today then I can have two monitors of beautiful goodness. DEATH TO HDMI!!!!!1!!!!!!!1!

HDMI is far superior to DVI best I remember. Carrying Ethernet and Audio aside. DVI is limited to like 2560x1920 using dual link. It will never be expanded. It's a great backwards compatibility link and HDMI is very similar in protocol.

If I remember correctly for awhile Nvidia had a color profile issue not displaying full range over HDMI? I forget.

If I remember correctly for awhile Nvidia had a color profile issue not displaying full range over HDMI?

Yup, I tooled around with the settings in the nvidia control panel and got the color straightened out. DVI is just a plug and play with barely any settings to tool around with HDMI has a bunch of different ones, I changed the color depth from 8 bpc to 12 bpc (whatever that is) and also set the dynamic range to full from limited.

I knew if I threw it out here I would get steered to what was probably going on.

Thanks everyone.

No problem. Not sure what color depths DVI supports but it will expand for HDMI and display port over the years as well. My camera for example shoots 12 bits per color channel and it's ancient lol. Meanwhile most of us only use or display 8 bits per color channel.

Back