Having a strange problem using two monitors ...

Maliksky

When I run the BF4 Battle Screen or Team Speak on my second monitor and go into BF4 the second monitor goes black. When I alt-tab out of the game the monitor displays normally again, then alt-tab back into the game the monitor goes black again. Wtf?

Is there a way to solved this annoying problem?

Windows 7 Pro x64, i7-3770k, 2 - Evga GTX770 FTW 4gb, Asus Sabertooth Z77, Asus VG278HE, W2753VC, G.Skill Sniper 16GB 1866, 2 Intel SSD's, 4 Seagate Baracudas HDD's, HP DVD1265, Lian-Li A77B, FiOS Quantum, Creative Surround, Logitech (Illuminated KB, G502, Extreme 3D Pro)

Last edited:
Thats actually not a strange problem. Its fucking normal. Good question though.

What OS? I havent had the issue on 8.1 with BF4 but i had it more commonly on 7 with BF3, way more common with BC2. Tabbing in and out a couple times worked a long time ago. Not sure of the cause but an extra question is what GPU brand and are you using a recent driver?

Some fools probably use full screen window (with a seamless mod even) as a solution, but that isn't necessary.

I didn't know it was possible to make it not go black...

I didn't know it was possible to make it not go black...
I almost always have something going on the second monitor. Teamspeak is one option if I care to see whose in channel without an overlay. Hulu or Netflix is likely. Some guys here run the battlescreen so they can see where stuff is on a full screen map.

Yeah I have two DVI cables coming out of my GTX 770 2gb. Right screen never goes black. On Windows 8.1 though.

One idea could be to change your BF4 settings from Full screen to borderless. This will typically cause issues if you want to do any recording with Shadowplay and Fraps though, since they don't support borderless programs.

Yeah I have two DVI cables coming out of my GTX 770 2gb.

You had to do it all normal didn't you? I went one HDMI and one DVI, whats funny is the HDMI cable is going to a monitor that only has a DVI port and the DVI cable is going to a monitor that only has VGA...

You had to do it all normal didn't you? I went one HDMI and one DVI, whats funny is the HDMI cable is going to a monitor that only has a DVI port and the DVI cable is going to a monitor that only has VGA...

Actually you make a good point. @Maliksky are you using an HDMI cable for one of the screens? I would try using two DVI cables and see if that fixes it. HDMI seems to make things a bit weirder.

I have a similar setup using two DVI cables and have the same issue. If I Alt-Enter a few times it usually goes away. Are you using two different size monitors? I think that's where my issue comes from.

Nothing seems to make a difference. Using Windows 7 Prof 64 bit. I tried Borderless and that didn't help.

Both of my monitor use the same resolution, 1920 x 1080. However the main monitor is 120 hz and the secondary is 60 hz. But I tried both at 60 hz and that didn't help either.

I guess my question should be, who has it working in Windows 7 Prof 64 bit? And what are your system specs? Also I am using two DVI-D cables.
Current nVidia driver 338.77.

I'll try and get some specs to ya sometime if I can remember but works fine for me, though I play in windowed mode so when I hit escape the cursor is free t jump to the other screen. On death, the same thing, the cursor is free to move about, otherwise things are bound in game.

just open your nvidia control panel and keep it minimized when that happens again

Minimizing the noVidia Control Panel does not work either. I had it running in Windows' mode, but that is suxor.

win7 - nvidia - 2 dvi - same problem - alt tab, click one window and then bf4 window usually clear the problem and both screen are ON

Related or maybe not? Since the patch my screen will switch to windowed mode while in-game and go black. Alt tab out and back solves the issue but it may happen a couple of times. I'm only running the one monitor on HDMI. This also seems to happen more often when I'm experiencing stuttering during the game. Unsure whats causing either but it's be somewhat of a pain running and pausing every few seconds since the DT release.

Related or maybe not? Since the patch my screen will switch to windowed mode while in-game and go black. Alt tab out and back solves the issue but it may happen a couple of times. I'm only running the one monitor on HDMI. This also seems to happen more often when I'm experiencing stuttering during the game. Unsure whats causing either but it's be somewhat of a pain running and pausing every few seconds since the DT release.

Try re-installing your video card drivers after BF4 updates. Also try using DVI-D cable.
Supposedly DVI can stream up to 1920×1200 HD video, or with dual-link DVI connectors you can support up to 2560×1600 pixels.

Re-installed drivers tonight and seemed OK but it's not always present when I've played a few rounds. Sadly, I don't have the option for DVI with this monitor.

Back