Gun guys' opinion needed

z242pilot

i have 1 semester left in school and i have decided that a rifle will be my graduation present. i am 95% sure i will go with this:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse w/ BOSS 308 Win. 26" Rifle 035032318
035032318.jpg
+
Bushnell Banner 6-24x40 Rifle Scope Matte Mil Dot 716244 Riflescope FREE S&H 716244. Bushnell Banner Riflescopes, Bushnell Riflescopes.
+
Cabela's: The Otis Elite Gun Cleaning Kit
+
Browning Mirage Single Gun Case 1470022

and a few other odds and ends that should bring my total cost to just under 2k.

what do you gun guys think? i plan to use it for range shooting initially, with the possibility of hunting later (no hunting exp yet....) I should be able to access a 1000 yard range everyonce and a while if i stay in Ontario (extra year of college for another course, so yeah..)

so.... any tips, suggestions or otherwise?

on a related note

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rRcTgOOSRKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oh and maybe a bipod

anyone know what the bipod is that the C9 (m249 saw) uses?, it can be pulled out like a bipod, or grabbed a hold of like a front grip.

Don't see any issues with the selection. Whats the Win 300 Mag running now a days? Might be the only other option I see for you. Scope is great, Can't really go wrong withe the Browning bolt action. If you really want to get serious with the 1000 yards consider a match barrel 1". Heavy as fuck for hunting, but drop dead accurate consistently at 1000.

Edit: I am having trouble locating a bi-pod such as the one you described. Usually these guys use bags or some other form of a stabilizer including proper body posture or alternate firing positions. When hunting you don't always have that choice though. Depends really on what your after I guess. Sometimes you'll have to stalk all depends on what you want to hunt for.

the reason i am trying to find that particular bipod, is it can be used for stable (kinda) firing from a standing position. i am looking at the .308 winchester, because i would like to shoot moose sometime. Good to hear my selection isn't too bad though

oh and maybe a bipod

anyone know what the bipod is that the C9 (m249 saw) uses?, it can be pulled out like a bipod, or grabbed a hold of like a front grip.

i have a front grip/bipod it works with the rail system though

lol

and i plan mostly target shooting, with deer later on and maybe a moose someday

Very nice choice Pilot. That looks like a good weapon system to get into 1000+ yard shooting if you plan to dive into the world of marksmanship.

Renno correct me if I am wrong, but the last Browning Bolt Action I played around with was customizable as far as barrel goes anyways. I think he can swap out some of the parts (or a proper gunsmith) and go up to the larger caliber. I know you can with Remington bolt actions.

You can't go wrong with a Browning or Remington bolt action .308 Win or .300 Win Mag or even a 7mm Mag. I agree with Renno though, if you think you will be shooting big game you might want to consider something with more stopping power like a 30-06 or even a .338 Winchester Mag which would be fine for moose or just about anything else you will find in North America.

cheechak30calx600.jpg

1644d1099111222-one-338-win-mag-rem-ultra-untitled.jpg

well i really wanted a .338 lapua, but the .308 is in the right price range (ammo is not $6.00 a pop either)

and the big game thing is not a requirement, merely a want for probably 10 years into the future (i still love the m-95 after all)

Back