GT:R Evolution + Race '07

HeatSurge

So, I bought a GT:R Evolution + Race '07 package from SimBin on a whim. I downloaded the demo for their new release "Race On" and enjoyed it a lot, so I was like hmm and looked up their previous release (same engine) and found a package for $10 and just bought it instantly (impulse buy ftw). I've only played for an hour or so, but it's really really good.

It's a driving sim (heavy focus on sim, graphics and visual effects are 5 years old), so if you're expecting something like Need For Speed or Grid... stay away. The realism of the driving model in this will have you tearing your hair out - even in its easiest mode. BTW you CANNOT play this without some kind of analog controller. Everyone recommends a good force feedback wheel, but I'm doing fine with a Logitech Rumblepad 2 (wired) so far. It doesn't really give me the precision I need, and I wish I had a good FFB wheel, but the controller will do for now lol. Steering with the mouse is also an option (properly coded in the game), but having to press buttons for accelerate/brake is not enough control - you will spin out/lock brakes on higher sim settings without gradual control.

BTW it has a rather large online community it seems... I found ~30 dedicated servers last night (sadly 95% running in "Pro" mode which is the highest simulation mode). I haven't played with anyone yet (it was way too late), but I'm sure everyone is really good and has a wheel and will kick my ass... but it should be fun :)

I'm just wondering if anyone else randomly has it or wants to get it :-D

So yeah, if you don't have the patience for this, don't bother.

I can tell you how to get the same package on Steam for $10 if you're interested.

Check it out on http://simbin.com

Also, I'm eyeing rFactor... I'm probably gonna get the demo sometime today or tomorrow.

Anyone have rFactor by chance? :-D

I've actually played rFactor. I don't know how the realism levels compare on either game, but rFactor was another racing sim.

I just picked up Need for Speed: Shift and it's not like the other NFS games it's a little too realistic. Now I have to go and buy a steering wheel and go full geek. Everyone knows you never go full geek.

I tried NFS: Shift and hated it. It's unfortunate, but there are other games (like Race '07 / GT:R Evo) which do circuit racing FAR better imo.

NFS has always been about arcade racing on city streets while evading cops, and their attempts to turn it into a more "sim"-my title are just... of lesser quality imo (Prostreet and Shift now) compared to some other offerings.

And Soulzz... NO SHIT rFactor is another sim [facepalm]... I know plenty about it. I was asking HOW WAS IT when you played. Gosh!

[Soulzz is not a fucking genius]

lulz.

You edited your post AFTER I posted genious. Who's the retard now :D.

Shift is pretty good. I think they got the Porsche GT2 in that game down pretty well as well as the Murcielago assuming they were doing the LP-640 and not the earlier model or later LP-670.

Also they have the full Nurburgring and yeah I know other games have it too but its pretty fucking accurate to the real thing. According to Ford the Ford GT can do the "ring" in 7:42:00. I spent hours trying to get that time and after many attempts I had a close to perfect lap and did a 7:42:745.

Wut?

My post: [ Edited Sat Oct 17 2009, 09:35AM ]

Your post: Sat Oct 17 2009, 12:48PM

Look above o_0...

Edit: Nevermind, after reading my original post I never asked how rFactor is (I thought I did) so I owe you an apology. You're still not a fucking genius though... because the argument where I edited my post after you posted is still an EPIC FAIL based on the times if you look at them.

I just tried rFactor and... it's nice... but it feels almost exactly the same as Race 07 / GTR Evo to me, so I can't justify dropping $30 on that... My driving sim desires will be satisfied with Race / GTR Evo for now ;-)

I might as well try those two out as well. NFS: Shift gets boring and annoying after 30 minutes of play lol.

Well... driving sims (and sims in general) are not exactly meant to entertain per se, the way a good movie entertains...

I spent about an hour driving around with several cars on the British (Brands Hatch) circuit today, and quite liked it. I haven't tried multiplayer still. I'm trying to get used to cars/tracks/full simulation before I jump into online games... I'm sure it won't be fun to crash early in a race and trudge along last for all of it, which I'm sure will happen if I join a server now.

Driving sims are kind of a personal preference. I love getting to know a track, doing lap after lap after lap just practicing and trying to get a better time with a certain car. My mind gets into this "racing mode" where I'm completely engulfed into the sim and every ounce of my brain goes into thinking about how to take the next corner better.

Some people may just not be interested in that... and that's fine. I don't think they'll like this title too much as opposed to the other more arcade-type games where they present racing as a more "fun in your face" event, however they accomplish that.

I actually prefer just doing laps alone, trying to get a better time with GTR:Evo right now, as opposed to racing head-to-head necessarily... and I haven't felt that way about a game for quite a while - since Accolade's "Grand Prix" from around 1990 and 4D Sports: Driving aka "Stunts" from a few years after. Come to think of it, Viper Racing kinda had the same mojo going... but I never cared for doing laps or getting better lap times with Need For Speed or Test Drive. Those games are built in a way that deprecates them imo.

BTW Misiek... is that Subaru really yours and do you really race it? o_0 ! Where do you race? What's the track called? What are the events like? Sounds really interesting - make a post about it pls.

Also, I would like to start learning/reading about what all the settings in the "car setup" screen do and what difference the adjustments make for the car... like anti-roll bars, alignment, spring tension, toe-in, camber, tire PSI, brake disc sizes, etc.

Just about the only thing which I understand completely is the gear ratio adjustment...

I'm sure I'll find a ton of shit using an online search engine (or even in a local library), but does anyone have any idea of a good online/book resource about the basics of car setup for racing?

Sorry man. I didn't realize there was a page 2. The Subaru is one of my new projects. Going to start it come Spring. Right now I don't race anything impressive (2001 VW Jetta 5 speed manual 95bhp 65whp lol). I just turned 19 and have been racing for only a few months. I mainly do time attack where just like you said going round a track over and over to get the best time in your class. However the difference is that your not alone on the track and if your stuck behind some idiot you have make a move. In August I was in a tournament where there was a money price involved. Lots of people showed up with their big name cars like Porsche, Mercedes AMG, BMW M3s, etc. On the straights I couldn't keep up but these people on the corners were terrible. There was this man with a Porsche 911 GT3 RS who gunned it on the straights but slowly went into corners. I must've passed him twice in 10 laps simply cause of that. Anyway I placed second overall and brought in some green. Only car faster than me, sadly, was an M3 and he had but a half a second on me per lap. I reckon if I had a richer fuel/air ratio I would've had em.

I have no special setup on the car. Only thing I spent money on was 17"x6" rims (which were taken off a totaled Jetta GLi) just so I could fit a decent tire. I run Pirelli 3 groove semi slicks so they are street legal but USELESS in the rain. Also got some Bilstein shocks which are top brand for comfort and not sportiness but they did have some sport luxury shocks. I tried them out and they are amazing. Don't feel pot holes and don't get body roll on hard corners, its a win win.Other than that I change the oil every time I race or every 3000 miles. Whichever happens first.

I participated at some events at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ, Pocono Raceway, PA, did some rally racing in NY State over the summer and yesterday lol. Also did some racing over at Long Island Raceway.

Mainly time attack. You guys would really be surprised what 65Whp can do. In NY State when I raced I did off road Rally Racing. That was a load of fun.

Here is a picture of the Jetta in action. Driving down the shore in a convoy of friends and one of my friends managed to snap my favorite picture of the Jetta with me at the wheel.
4521_1152561088661_1066653309_45802.jpg

4656_79802257964_599102964_1955647_.jpg

I have a little car collection. Picture of me and my cars.

n1066653309_143081_2177.jpg

From left to right.
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL
1972 Triumph Spitfire (loads of fun)
1991 Subaru SVX
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX
This spring I'll be buying either an 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi like in my sig or a 2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5T like in my avatar.

My other car which is my Winter project is my dune buggy. Gonna be ready for the beach this summer.
2813_1143493581979_1066653309_42842.jpg

Thats not my dune buggy but its identical. From the paint to the body to the rims.

All the cars are stick. I have a 6 speed from an STi in the SVX which I swapped myself. I'm lucky in the way that my dad owns a car garage and I can do all the work myself. Oh and a video of the Spitfire in action. (With me at the wheel)

<object width=&quot;425&quot; height=&quot;344&quot;><param name=&quot;movie&quot; value=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/ev2iR6j3aLA&hl=en&fs=1&&quot;></param><param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;></param><param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;></param><embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/ev2iR6j3aLA&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot; width=&quot;425&quot; height=&quot;344&quot;></embed></object>

Damn man that's pretty awesome. I wish I lived closer so you could take me on a ride or I could come watch or something... and I am really surprised you can be competitive with just a Jetta - wow.

But anyway, after you mentioned NFS: Shift and that it has Nurburgring (Nordschleife) I tried it again... and what a waste of time. It feels SO laggy and shitty that I can't really believe that anyone plays that game... and it's not the graphics either - it's input lag from the controller (logitech rumblepad 2) - like half a second... it is just not as tight or responsive as it should be. Other people are having the same issues with their wheels and there are posts all over the place about sim enthusiasts having dropped the title altogether...

Back to GTR: Evo for me, for now... and looking forward to rFactor 2 maybe... who knows.

I got a 1:42.50 on Monza today with GTR's Formula 3000 or whatever... and then I saw a bunch of other times below 1:40 (around 1:38 even) and cried a bit... but oh well, I'm a n00b.

Its not even like the Jetta is any good lol. It just that people buy cars with 500 horsepower and don't know how to handle it.

I have had some luck with NFS: Shift I guess but I do agree. Only thing I really enjoyed in that game was the Nurburgring.

Back