Going to buy a guitar! And some type of effect pedal and amp..

I guess just personal preference on the look.

100%. Its even personal preference on how they play. For example, the LP is a super heavy guitar, but you dont get that from just looking at pictures. They can weigh almost 10 pounds, because they are a solid chunk of mahogany. But even weight aside, they feel a lot different from say, a strat because the neck is a bit shorter so the string tension is a bit less. And then they also sound totally different since you have the 2 humbuckers in the LP vs the 3 single coils in the strat. So it also kind of depends what you want to play. Humbuckers are a lot hotter of a pickup than a single coil.

Definitely try out whatever you are thinking about.

Does a solid body affect sound or tuning in any way on an electric?

Also, I believe the two I links had dual humbucking pickups. I may have to go look again.

Well I think its an old wives tale that heavier guitars have more sustain. I dont know if thats true or not, but my LP definitely has more sustain than my strat, but its not really a fair comp because its a Gibson LP and a Squier Strat. Its also worth noting that most modern LP's have holes drilled under the top to relieve some weight. But they are still called solid body guitars since they dont resonate like a hollowbody.

But a solid body will definitely change the sound vs a hollow or semi hollowbody. If you are in the same room as your amp it will be a lot harder to get as much gain out of a hollow or semi because the body of the guitar will resonant from the amp potentially causing feedback.

Of the two guitars you posted one was dual humbuckers and the other was HSH with a single coil in that middle position. I didnt look at what kind of switch it has, but it probably allows you to get some out of phase sounds which is what gives the strat its "quacky" sound.

Well the type of wood definitely makes a difference. But sometimes you will see people argue that heavier guitars sustain longer, even being made out of the same type of wood.

If you are looking for more information about guitars, these two guys are super knowledgeable.

Rick tends to focus on more music production and songwriting than guitar playing (has a few that go into gear though), but Rhett has a ton of videos about how to go about choosing a guitar and looking at different types of guitars.

This is what I have so far in my crosshairs. Anyone have any comments good or bad?

Musician's Friend Electric Guitar Accessory Kit: Strings, Picks, Strap, Tuner & Stand

Mogami Gold Series Instrument Cable 10 ft.

KIRLIN Premium Plus Straight to Right Angle Instrument Cable, Olive Green Woven Jacket 10 ft.

EBS Premium Flat Patch Cable 3.94 inches Black and Gold X 4

Jackson Pro Soloist SL2Q MAH Electric Guitar Purple Phaze

DigiTech Whammy DT Drop Tune Guitar Effects Pedal

TC Helicon Ditto Mic Looper Pedal

Line 6 M5 Stompbox Modeler Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal

Boss Katana-50 MkII 50W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amplifier

I'm thinking I'm missing one pedal. I want something like the
Digitech The Weapon pedal

but it looks like it's not sold anymore. Maybe
Amptweaker TightMetal Jr

D’Addario .10 to .52s

or

instead of getting all these pedals, getting something like this..

Line 6 POD HD500X Guitar Multi-effects Floor Processor

Then i could eliminate some cost and some cables and such.

Are you sure thats the looper you want? That looks to me to be made for a microphone and it has XLR in out vs TS in out (3 pin vs standard instrument cable). I* think you want something more like these. Havent used the former, but my buddy has the latter and it works pretty well.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DittoLooper--tc-electronic-ditto-looper-pedal

or

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RC1--boss-rc-1-loop-station-looper-pedal

Dont have a whole lot of experience with those distortion pedals (or really distortion pedals in general. I just use a scranton screamer tube screamer occasionally) but heres a good video that has some cheaper alternatives.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UM300--behringer-um300-ultra-metal-distortion-pedal

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HM300--behringer-hm300-heavy-metal-distortion-pedal

The whole video goes into how often times the behringer pedal is an exact copy of the more expensive pedal, but I set the time stamp where I think you would be most interested since you are looking for some distortion.

Havent used the line 6 pod but I do use a line 6 hx stomp that is fantastic.

Everything else seems to be personal preference. The mogami cables are supposed to be fantastic.

No and thanks, a friend tonight pointed out that's a mic looper. Thanks for the links, more to digest. Purchase will happen in about 2 weeks so I still have some work to do.

Hey just figured I would throw this here. Got one of those spam emails from Sweetwater for the weekly deals (which I obviously look at because I’m a consumer whore when it comes to audio equipment) but saw they had a deal on Jackson guitars.

no idea if those are what you were looking at or not. Just figured I would mention it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/dealzone...utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200203-t1t2-a

Yes thanks. The Jackson i picked out is on sale at musiciansfriend for $699 regular $999. If I lose the sale before I buy it, i won't buy it there and i'll keep shopping.

Back