Elite: Dangerous Thread

HeatSurge

So... this came out today.

[video=youtube;VE8B4KptyVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI[/video]

The first video which is revealing a bit more than 3d models flying around in a crappy renderer... and it looks damn good if you ask me :-> . I quite like a lot of things about it... only concerned about the lack of Newtonian-based movement without assists. Seems kind of too arcade right now, but it was hinted it'll be an option.

I really hope Braben delivers. Meanwhile excuse me while I ejaculate all over Cobra Mk.IIIs in 2013. Never thought it would all happen like this, but I'm starting to believe :) .

P.S. Lazers! :-D

So this was released today:

[video=youtube;a-ykj3-q40A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ykj3-q40A[/video]

From youtube:

"CartoonsKick<header class="lea">4 hours ago</header>

OK, so I paid for the Alpha release. I've been playing it all day - and there's a few things I need to mention:

1. I Love it. It plays better than it looks, and it looks fantastic.
2. I broke my Cyborg EVO's trigger on it. Mind you it's an old joystick. X52 Pro is still on order, and only going for it as there's a YouTube video showing a developer playing the game with it. I'll also stump up for an Oculus Rift when they emerge.
3. It's quite a hard game. There is a challenge to shooting the computer controlled ships out of the sky's. I'm only on Mission 4 of the 8, and I'm kind of stuck. Not helped by the failed trigger on my joystick. That was killed by mission 3.

Best bit so far: on mission 3 I was beaten down hard by 1 ship. My cockpit panels were fizzing and popping. Then the first cracks appeared on the cockpit canopy, accompanied by superb sound effects. Crack crack CRACK.

Suddenly the front window shattered. There was a whooshing sound as the ships atmosphere escaped, and there I was in vacuum. My gun sounds all vanished, mostly anyway. All I could hear above most everything else was my breathing in my emergency mask. In, out. In, out. I fired my muted sounding lasers still. All accompanied by the breathing.

I've never felt so gripped, or so alone and exposed, in a game yet.

I fought on of course, but my central HUD was gone too. Well, no canopy to display it. So I guessed - mostly correctly - where to shoot. But it was over all too soon. 1 chance shot to an open canopy and I was people pate. But what a fight. I loved it!

That's just in the first day of the Alpha on mission 3 of 8. I want more! Just need the joystick to play it now. But what a rush so far!"

Also, I checked out how much it would be to get in the alpha. Well, it's TWO HUNDRED FUCKING GBP. Soooo yeah, and I thought $80 for the PA alpha was an ass-widening profound-penetration ripoff. Well, we ain't seen nothing yet, I suppose.

Maybe the big studios will catch on to this... BF5 pre-alpha $9001 anyone? ;-) Although, honestly, I doubt anyone wants to play 9 single player "scenarios" badly enough to drop 200 quid on this. But who knows, people are crazy.

So what is this space sim like? A couple of reviews stated that you spend a lot of time flying around with nothing to do.

Multiplay should be more entertaining though:

So what is this space sim like? A couple of reviews stated that you spend a lot of time flying around with nothing to do.

Multiplay should be more entertaining though:

Holly necro thread Batman! Shouldn't be revivng these from 2 years ago.

Anyhow, if you want more info, just hit up @Avery78 or @OfftheRails as they play a bit. I have it but haven't spent much time playing recently.

There's loads to do. And you spend your time actually doing it, not clicking a button to make it happen. To get from place to place you have to fly the ship yourself, throttle up to engage the hyperdrive, navigate to your destination, and ease onto the landing pad. Mining is finding a decent place, then blasting chunks off an asteroid and chasing them down. It takes a while, but it's great practice.

Some conveniences are coming online. You can slave your ship to another player's, so only one of you has to navigate at a time, and there are apparently mining drones in the new update. I haven't played for a couple of months as my flightstick had to go back to Saitek, and the courier company keeps sending out bellends who can't find my flat.

It's not a combat, trading, or anything else -game. It's a Han Solo simulation.

Back