DVD video for use in Powerpoint

MacN8r

Ban Manager
Admin
One of my fellow teachers wants to take short clips of video from DVD and insert them into Powerpoint. Any idea which software he should use to do this. My video experience is limited to making "archival" copies of movies with DVDShrink and Anydvd. Any free methods of doing so would be helpful since he is a 2nd year teacher and, therefore, dreadfully cash strapped.

Um... amazon... no.

MacN8r, for what you want to do I'd suggest looking at how to rip segments with VirtualDubMod (look it up). It's REALLY long to type and complicated, but you should be able to figure it out. I could help you over vent if you want sometime...

Basically the process I'd suggest is:
- Either installing AnyDVD or DVDFab HD Decrypter (also works for DVD's) from here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm to get rid of the encryption.
- Opening the "vob" or whatever files from the hard drive with VirtualDubMod, selecting your segment and
- Reencoding it with a codec like... one of the "Intel Indeo" codecs and mp3 audio.

That's what I'd do personally... there might be other "one click" solutions available, but most of them are paid and/or I haven't used... a very helpful site for any video / audio conversion tools / questions is: http://videohelp.com

A good alternative format to encode to these days for powerpoint presentations is WMV (admittedly, the built-in codecs for VirtualDubMod are quite outdated), but I don't know which tools can encode to that and how it works exactly.

The best (IMO) codec to encode to with VirtualDubMod is Xvid, but it has to be installed on the PC which the presentation is run on, and on most PC's, it is not, sadly. It takes literally 5 seconds to install, but if it's a school PC you might not have permissions etc... so yeah.

Hey I didn't know he didn't have the clips I thought he didn't know how to add them : /.

No, he was going to use things from Ken Burn's Civil War in short bits. He hasn't ripped them yet, so I will have to talk with him about how. Thanks for the help.

Back