[Dub/Ambient Album] Alexander Daf & Aedem – Prism

HeatSurge

Usually I don't make threads for music/album commentary, but I've truly not heard anything like this for quite a while.

I happened upon an album today which I think is one of the most amazing dub/ambient/downtempo accomplishments to come out (that I've heard of), perhaps even since the late 90s.

It's the initial release album from a new label that these two Russian guys are trying to get started (Microcosmos Records). The first half of the album is tracks by Alexander Daf, and the second half - by Aedem.

What's particularly amazing about this is that they've somehow succeeded to create a soundscape which is neither quite as tiring (and sometimes lame) as most dub nowadays, nor as boring as ambient. The album mostly has a solid beat, but is definitely in the "ambient/dub/downtempo" category.

The tracks are pure gold in my opinion. They're completely enchanting and have great variety - themes and instruments are constantly fading in-and-out, while solid, mystical, deep, and addictive basslines, recurring background patterns, and beats keep things together & flowing. Moreover, they blend really nicely together (and I would say would've been even better if they were actually beat-mixed together) - and at the end of the album you feel like you've been taken on this amazing trip.

I can only imagine what it would be to listen to this high. I think it would probably be like a constant hour-long brain-melting psychedelic orgasm. Sadly, I don't think I'll have the opportunity to do that in the near future. This is some really good music to put on late in the night, or on a rainy weekend, sit in your (hopefully large and comfy) armchair, dial up your floorstanding speakers, snuggle in a warm blanket, and just enjoy the ride.

The album is available for preview (pretty good quality and in full) here:

http://microcosmosrecords.com/mcrcsms001/

Back